Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cycling and Lancaster University
  • PlopNofear
    Free Member

I’m hopefully going to Lancaster University this year, and was wondering how I could do some riding there, as I know there is good riding up north. I can’t really bring my own bike as I would have now where to put it (that is safe). What options do I have?

xiphon
    Free Member

You have the Lakes on your doorstep. Don’t even think about leaving the bike at home!!!

Have a search on here for bikes at Uni – also over at SouthernDownhill.com, many people seem to ask about bike storage and Uni halls/accomodation.

boxelder

Join the Uni club, make friends with someone who has space and store it there. Contact the halls etc and ask about storage. There’s always space in a room for a bike – suspend it on a hook from the ceiling?

cb

There used to be plenty of garages on site – try renting one or joining one of the many outdoor clubs that use them for storage. Of course, they may have built on them by now – it was 20 years ago that I went!

Also, pick your college wisely – some have much bigger rooms that others!

BigGraham
    Free Member

Not sure about undergrad but the post grad halls that my partner was in had a little bike store thing that wasn’t too bad, it had a keyfob access thing (think estates had a record of where all the fobs were) and big loops to lock your bike to, get a decent lock and a sheet to cover it from prying eyes and it should be ok, mine stayed in there fine a few times when I was visiting before I moved up. BTW there is loads of ace riding you must take it with you!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Buy a ratty bmx so you can ride the new skatepark at Halton

cp

take it with you! Lakes is up the road, and there’s riding from the door step, along with trough of bowland over the hill.

I just stashed mine in the room. Was in Furness college, but the building I was in in the first year has since been flattened & built over with fancy new accommodation (can’t believe how different the place is compared with 10 years ago! eeek!).

el_bandido
    Free Member

Lancaster is also pretty close to the Dales and the (underated and not very busy) Howgills, especially if you have a car or can scrounge a lift

traildog
    Free Member

Everyone is always saying how near to the lakes Lancaster is, but without a car, it’s still a long way to ride on a mountain bike. You can get the train, but you need to book before hand on the Virgin ones.
    You should take your bike though. Lancaster is a very cycle friendly city.

MartinGT
    Free Member

Friend of mine went to Lancaster Uni, decent bike club, but they always get smashed by Leeds 8)

woody2000

Probably nearer to the Dales in Lancaster?

Either way, there’s no way I’d be leaving my bike at home 🙂

binners

You can put your bike straight on the train at Lancaster and be in Kendal in 15 minutes for a few quid return. You’d have to be certifiable not to be taking a bike with you to Lancaster, with that amount of fantastic riding on your doorstep

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Alas, my university days in Lancaster were spent largely mountain bike free as I was too busy having fun.

I did buy a bmx when I was there though, for ripping it in the hood.

It’s a pity really as there were loads of great places behind the uni in the Bowland Forest area, which I only walked. Looked great for mountain biking though and it’s on your doorstep, no trains/cars involved.

Lanky is a great place and there are a few decent bike shops in the city. Just don’t spend all of your time in the bars… there are ten on campus.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

http://www.bogtrotters.org

there are ten on campus.

there is a pub approx every 30 metres in Lancaster…

PlopNofear
    Free Member

Looks like I’ll have to bring my bike along then. 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wheels out, none drive side pedal off (optional, you’ll be doing a lot of bouncing on the bed so pointy bits sticking up are to be avoided though) , slide bike under bed.

If the cleaners object, buy them a box of roses.

If they still object leave the room so messy they refuse to clean.

If they still object buy a £50 CRC bike bag, the bars stick out but if you cans tand the smell you wont need to worry about washing it before bringing it in.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cycling and Lancaster University’ is closed to new replies.