Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cycling along canals…
  • Mounty_73

Never really cycled along canals, but we are looking at riding along the Llangollen canal.

I remember from years ago about having a permit to use them, is this still the case or can we just ride them ?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Permits no longer a requirement.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you need a licence but it is free. That said no one will ever challenge you for it.
    http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/cycling/permit

z1ppy

I got one a British waterways one (downloaded from there website), & have never once been asked to produce it in 8 years (though you are supposed to have it on display on the bike).

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

you need a licence but it is free. That said no one will ever challenge you for it.

I thought they had been scrapped. but it was only for Scotland and London. Junkyard is correct.

Just copied this from the British Waterways site:

Before cycling on towpaths owned by British Waterways, you will need to obtain a free cycle permit. However, you are not required to hold a cycle permit in Scotland or London.

MoreCashThanDash

What if the towpath is a sustrans route?

(I commute along the Nutbrook Trail, which includes the Erewash canal towpath)

5lab

wouldn’t cycling along the path next to the canal be easier than along the canal itself?

budgierider67

The Llangollen canal path is on BBC2 tonight at 7.30pm

Junkyard
    Free Member

i lived on a boat and there is no way on this earth that a BW employee will ever challenge you for your permit. You chances of meeting them ever is quite slim. Even of they did pleading ignorance and apologising would be fine. IME no one will know or care.
    If you read this then print one if you are doing a long ride on one otherwise dont worry.

project
    Free Member

As above, froncystycle aquaduct is on tonuight with Julia bradbury, keep a look out for her clambering to look over the side of the boat as it crosses.

Sadly a chap threw himself or fell from the viaduct last week.
    Oh nad theyve just resurfacesthe length from froncy, to llan

porcaro
    Free Member

Cycling along canals is great, the only thing to watch for are some of the miserable fisherman who seem to think they own the place and do obstruct the path.

Mounty_73

I’m use to miserable folk, meet them most days….

OT……..classic one on Friday, we rode past a woman on a bridge saying hello…she replied with a…’I dont speak to bikers, they are a menace’…..charming …..and that comment coming from a woman with the biggest bum I have seen in a while…..

On the plus side , Julia is on tonight…cheers for the heads up……. 😉

trailflow
    Free Member

watch out for the ducklings too ! 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cycling along canals…’ is closed to new replies.