Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cycling After Fractured Hip
  • nosherduke996
    Free Member

Anybody made a full recovery and how long before i am back on the bike ?

wwaswas

Was about 3 months until I was full weight bearing and 5 until I was riding comfortably.

Had the metalwork out after 2 years and now, 12 years later the broken side is still the same as the non broken one.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

I am hoping it is sooner than that. No weight bearing at all for 6 weeks, also it has been screwed which will stay in.

wwaswas

I had 3 screws in mine but the heads stuck out and kept trapping muscles between them and the edge of tables etc and was uncomfortable laying on that side.

I was partial weight bearing after 6 weeks but was longer until full weight and allowed to drive again.

Do all the physio and accept it’ll hurt more than the original injury is the best advice I can give, really.

discapade
    Free Member

How the hell did you fellas do that???

wwaswas

Learning failing to jump on my mtb 😳

Daughter was 3 months old at the time so it wasn’t a popular move.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Mine was on my roadbike. We hit a patch of ice at 20mph and two of us ended up in hospital.I got a broken hip and another guy broke his back and some neck damage. 🙁

discapade
    Free Member

Shit man that’s heavy..I remember a few years ago I had a DIY accident with a chop saw..2 x micro surgey ops on my arm, off the bike for 5 months but worst of all,my daughter was 1 year old, I couldn’t pick her up or play much….gutted….all good now tho (:0)

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Had a Chs (cannulated hip screw) in 2006 took 6 months to get on motorbike again, then was knocked off andbroke tib and fib that took 12 weeks of partial weight bearing.

If its any consolation I nursed a 80 year old lady who had a dhs (dynamic hip screw) and a break in femoral shaft and she was mobilising with her zimmer after two weeks.

Everyones different.

Id say anything from a few weeks to be mobile with zimmer and then elbow crutches and a good few months for flat cycling.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Nosher what type of screw did you have? Chs is usually the easiest to recover from, then dhs and finally a gamma nail.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cycling After Fractured Hip’ is closed to new replies.