Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cyclescheme query
  • richpips
    Free Member

My wife is thinking of a getting a bike via cyclescheme.

In the small print it says “not able to claim business mileage allowance”

2 or 3 times a month she has to drive from Manchester up to Cumbria (ie not her normal place of work). She couldn’t be expected to ride there.

Would she be able to claim her mileage or not?

bikeneil
    Free Member

I think it means you can’t claim mileage allowance for the miles you do on the bike.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

That clause almost certainly means that she wouldn’t be able to claim back the milage which she would be able to claim tax free under HMRC rules for using her own bike for work purposes.

If you use your own car for company business you can claim iirc 40p per mile tax free. Same applies if you use your own bike although the amount is a lot less. As the bike is owned by the company you wouldn’t be able to claim this. There shouldn’t be an issue with using the car and claiming milage back.

Sorry, that sounds quite unclear but I hope it helps!

pdw
    Free Member

Yep – it’s talking about the 20p/mile you can claim for using your own bike for business purposes, because it’s not your own bike, it’s your employer’s bike.

Which reminds me, I’ve got 95 x 20p to claim for a trip a few weeks ago 🙂

julzm
    Free Member

You can only claim mileage allowance if you don’t travel to a single place of work, otherwise it’s just normal commuting. IIRC it’s tested by if you go the same place of work twice or more per week on average, you couldn’t claim the miles for that travel. However, if you work in multiple locations that’s fine and you can claim the miles then.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

im employed by LPFT (NHS) – we got cycletowork from February this year, not read the small print but ive been claiming the 20p a mile with no issues

richpips
    Free Member

Thanks folks 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cyclescheme query’ is closed to new replies.