Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Cyclescheme – I feel robbed
  • poly
    Free Member

Frank – your grievance is really with your employer – there is nothing to stop them running the scheme at a loss. Most employers pass on the vat saving (where they can).

Mark – its not your bike so why would you have to pay a disposal fee? Is that written into the T&C’s of the original contract?

franksinatra

I don’t think it is right that my employer makes a profit out of the scheme, if my calculations are right then they will.

I don’t think it is right that the fair market value clarification should be introduced retrospectively to current users of the scheme.

I too am amazed by the opposition on this thread to the scheme. It is there to get more people cycling more often. That can only be a good thing.

kennyp
    Free Member

The scheme is not as good as it used to be because too many people ripped the arse out of it….

I have to admit I’ve had three bikes from it over the years. Seemed daft to turn down the chance of a half price bike. I do commute to work by bike every day though.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The scheme is not as good as it used to be because too many people ripped the arse out of it….

Most people didn’t in my experience. It seems like this on a mountain bike forum obviously, but thats hardly a representative sample. In my office, most people bought sensible bikes and started cycling to work.

In any case, it has nothing to do with the HRMC’s clarification of an acceptable fair market value. Thats just a lack of communication between government departments.

Why more employers don’t just hand it over for free and charge the tax on the difference i don’t know??

franksinatra

Why more employers don’t just hand it over for free and charge the tax on the difference i don’t know

By my reckoning, they paid £825 for the voucher (£1000 – vat at 17.5%)

They have then recovered 12 x £70 monthly repayments = £840 + £212 final valuation. That is a total of £1052, and a profit of £227.

That might answer your question

stevemtb
    Free Member

Wow, I’m amazed at how many people are having a go at the OP.

I’m in the same position, I signed up for my last bike thinking that I’d get it at 40%ish off. As I understand it’s just tax/NI savings so not really something that hurts others considering how much we all pay anyway. The rules changed half way through the year meaning it was nowhere near as good an offer as it looked at first.

As per the OP, if I realised how much the end cost would be I’d have checked out the sales first. Still waiting to see my pay slip when the cash comes off as I never really got the way the letter was worded.

clareymorris

Don’t forget the employer doesn’t pay NI on the salary sacrifice either – therefore saving them even more money.

I don’t blame you for being annoyed, it was marketed as a way to legitimately get a really good deal on a bike than you could probably normally get and they moved the goalposts…bad 🙁

franksinatra

Don’t forget the employer doesn’t pay NI on the salary sacrifice either – therefore saving them even more money.

Any idea what that is worth? I’m trying to pull together the numbers for the ‘chat’ I’ll be having with them about this on monday.

If it was just a case of them having to apply new rules then fair enough, but I can’t quite get my head around the thought that they may be profiting out of this.

clareymorris

I think NI is quite confusing compared to tax – this might help?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/nic.htm

clareymorris

…and obviously double check mt facts – I would hate for you to use it and be wrong!!

stevemtb
    Free Member

Doesn’t help your ‘chat’ on Monday but the C2W scheme has to have benefited us, the cycling community. More people than ever seem to be getting bikes which means more on the 2nd hand market, more people using trails meaning more gets invested, and so on.

clareymorris
    DickBarton

I think it is a great scheme…if more people bike then great. I just get annoyed with the stories of folk with lots of bikes and use the scheme for a play bike not a cycle to work scheme bike. It is a personal grumble.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Why should it bother you if I use the bike for commuting or not? I’m perfectly happy to commute on a 17 year old mtb so like to save the good bike for the weekend. Don’t really see what the difference is.

I would like to see people getting forced to cycle in so many days over a year if they use the scheme but as long as it gets more people getting healthy on a bike I’m not going to complain.

In my workplace I’d say it’s about 50/50 of people who are using the scheme for a play bike or never cycling in and people who would never have riden to work before and now do,

falkirk-mark

Poly, I didn’t read anything on the original form but in the options for the end of the agreement is this sentence (If you choose to return the cycle, there will be a handling fee of £250 that will be deducted from your net pay in June).As said it makes no odds as I am keeping the bike.

DickBarton

I know…not sure why it does, but it does…and for some reason I can’t keep my gob shut about it on this thread…so feel free to ignore my rants…I’m not entirely sure why it is bothering me so even more confused as to why I need to share this with anyone.

franksinatra

**Update**

Well, that seems to be sorted.

It wasn’t an attempt to fleece money, more like general lethargy and no-one bothering to look into the alternatives to applying the adjusted market valuation.

Pointed out to them the various options and costs etc. They seemed especially concerned about the potential to make profit from users of the scheme, agreed that that was not what they wanted. Going to sell the bike to me for 5% of its value, I will incur taxable benefit. Not as good as extended lease but better than previous offering! Future users or the scheme will have the extended lease option.

All sorted out quite easily so panic over.

Now that I’m clear of this years scheme I’ll need to start thinking about that carbon road frame I fancy fiddling through the next one 😉

MrOvershoot

What is annoying is the way the rules changed for many people just as they were reaching the end of a B2W scheme. And as someone else pointed out they ended up paying a big chunk in one month because many payroll dept’s just applied the rules as they saw it.

In my case because of delays in processing I ended up paying £100 more for the bike I was after as I ended up having to have a 2011 model.
    Then the really galling bit was to be told if I had just walked off the street when I first enquired, I could have got the 2010 one I wanted with 30% discount and 12 months interest free.

13thfloormonk

Going to sell the bike to me for 5% of its value, I will incur taxable benefit.

A-ha! I wondered if this was possible, so basically you pay 5%, and are then taxed on the taxable benefit, i.e. on the bike you’ve just been given, yes? In which case, how much do they assume the taxable benefit is worth, do they still apply HRMC’s 25% fair market value?

I kind of wished my employers had gone down this route, if only so that I could rip the arse out of the scheme again have bought another £300 commuter, instead of waiting 31 months.

druidh
    Free Member

13fm. Tax should be payable on the difference between the FMV and the “sale” price. So, for a standard rate tax payer using franksintras example, that would be 20% of 20% – i.e. 4% of the value of the bike. Of course, a higher rate tax payer will pay more (the only part of the scheme which favours the lower paid).

Taking a £1,000 bike, for a std rate tax payer getting no VAT or NI saving, that would result in a net saving of £110.

franksinatra

For those still interested, this is how the new numbers worked out.

Employer sold the bike to me at 5% of value

Bike £851.06 (£1000 – vat) x 5% = £42.55 plus £8.51 vat = £51.06

HMRC valuation was £255.21, therefore taxable benefit is £204.26. I will pay 20% of that amount in tax, it will be applied as adjustment to my tax code.

nbt

You don’t actually have to pay *ANYTHING AT ALL* for the bike according to the tax man. They just want the tax on 25% for the original RRP. Most employers just see 25% and decide to charge that.

Drac

What NBT says, I’m waiting to see what my employer does and how I can point out their error if they use the cop out of 25%.

scottidog
    Free Member

Can someone explain to me why cyclescheme don’t have to pay my employer the fair market value of my bike when the ownership is ‘transferred’ to them at the extended hire period? Why can’t my employer ‘transfer’ it to me instead!?

I feel like I have been **** in the arse

rootes1

we have been given three options at end of hire period:

Option 1 – for 10% of the voucher price (should be a flat rate as it is an admin charge… but hey) extend the hire period for a further 54 months

Option 2 – pay a value to take title based on HMRC value tables

Option 3 – Give bike back to employer incurring a 10% of voucher value for the admin charge

or….

‘If we do not hear from you by this date we are obliged to report the bicycle and equipment as a benefit in kind to HMRC’

i think i’ll just let them report it to HMRC….

I_did_dab
    Free Member

My employer has stopped the ‘bling to work’ scheme after Inland Revenue got sniffy about it.
    A better way to encourage cycling would be to drop VAT from all bikes and accessories below say £1000. I’m sure that this would be cheaper for the government to administer, benefit more than just the big retailers who cash in on the current scheme, and not be subject to all the nonsense about nominal resale values.

rootes1

yer think our scheme will stop – shame it took 4 years of badgering to get in the first place.. across two intakes over 700 people signed up..

to be fair a large proportion actual use their bikes to get to work and many of those were non cyclists to start with

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I honestly can’t believe some of the sanctimonious drivel on page 1 spouted by some about C2W schemes in general.
    Bottom line is that it was something that some people could previously take some benefit from. However, in it’s current form, those benefits have been degraded to extent that it is no longer sufficiently beneficial and should probably be scrapped IMHO.
    Please Dave, get rid of the government department that administers it. I don’t want to pay their wages any more.

My view on the scheme is, If there is a benefit to you, take it. If not, don’t.
    If you want to flame me for feeling robbed, just like the OP, here’s your chance:
    I didn’t need a new bike to cycle to work. I’ve got a perfectly good road bike for the few occasions that I do that but 40% off £1k spend was attractive.
    The chosen scheme (another C2W, not Cyclescheme) was through a well known national chain and the vouchers were consequently accepted at only a few other independent outlets. I didn’t want anything from that chain! I felt robbed!
    I applied for the maximum in the hope that I could use it as part payment for something I really wanted. I knew that was specifically not allowed but I thought I’d be able to cut a deal somewhere. When I went to buy I found that the independent shop was receiving close scrutiny from the national chain and wouldn’t consequently risk taking the voucher against a >£1k bike where they “may, allegedly” have previously done. I felt robbed!
    … so I decided to buy myself a cheap £300 MTB that coincidently would be fine for another family member to use, and to spend the rest on spares and bits for me (set of Flows/Pro2s, SLX chainset, MW80 winter boots, spare ST Minions, chains, cassettes, etc). Basically picking stuff that was at a good discount anyway and factoring loyalty discount in too. When I went to buy the stuff I found the shop unwilling to honour web prices on the scheme, only selling at RRP. I felt very robbed! I don’t think I’ve ever paid RRP for any single purchase over £100 in my life !!!
    Still, 40% off meant it was worthwhile. Just not as worthwhile as it might have otherwise have been.
    The change to the final market value (which I fortunately avoided) makes the scheme worth very little to me now. I won’t bother this year.

<dons flameproof suit and stands back>

molgrips
    Free Member

Pff. You pays your money, you takes your choice. Whining about not getting something for nothing won’t get any sympathy from me!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Definately not whining molgrips.
    I agree, you pays your money, etc.

<Edit> It was the sanctimony that hooked me </Edit>

nedrapier

E-T, if it’s the well known national chain I think it is, they deduct 15% from the number on the voucher when it’s redeemed with an independednt. Your shop will have got £850 in return for your £1000 voucher.

If that makes you feel any different about the RRP.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

ned, I think we’re on the same page. I understood that there was a hefty % fee to the scheme operator.
    On balance, I don’t really feel robbed as I clearly benefitted from the scheme.

I think I must have been less than clear in the intent of my post.
    I meant it to read as… you frustratingly loose lots of little bits along the way but if it’s still worthwhile overall – then go for it, and if not – don’t.

molgrips
    Free Member

I looked at it at my old work when it came up. It clearly wasn’t worth it because you had to pay over-inflated prices for all the bikes. I think it was being run through a third party company who were clearly on the make.

Mikey65
    Free Member

It’s Britain remember………..did you really not expect to get shafted somewhere along the line !!!

5lab

we’re with halfords here, yet to have a final payment come out (will be in the next couple of months). If they decide to take the 25% valuation, then a low rate tax payer will have paid (using £1000 as the example)

£70/month after tax per month (my company refuses to take vat off) = £833
    £250 ‘one off’ payment
    ==========
    £1088

for a non-discounted £1000 rrp bike from halfords. works out as an APR of 15% (actually a little lower as £250 is borrowed for 12 months but the rest is borrowed for 12 months but being repaid, but its def over 10%)

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Can’t you pursuade your employer to do the 4 year deal thing? What do they have to loose? With my employer I’d complete the payments in a year then wait another 3 years before making the final payment which based on valuation would fall into the ‘bottom bracket’ (see what I did there) of 5%.

I would certainly use the scheme again as I’m not planning to change jobs just yet and it would be the best way to pay off the bike that I want. I would be less tempted to use the scheme if I wasn’t happy in my job and I could pick up a good bargain.

Tiger6791

Just hand back the bell. The rest of the bike was worn out and had to be scrapped for safety reasons?

buffalobill
    Free Member

Has anyone returned a bike at the end of the lease? With the new rules in place is there about to be an influx of 12mth old, hardly used £1k bikes onto the second-hand market?
    And where will they sell them all?

druidh
    Free Member

It’s not your bike to scrap – it’s your employers. And most contracts I’ve seen have the onus on the user to maintain/insure it in the event of loss.

stumpyjon

The whole scheme was dodgy from the start, the whole premise of people cycling to work was flawed, if it had been based on encouraging some of the purchasers to ride to work it would have been much more honest. Couple that with the fact it was all lumped onto employers to administer whilst the government got the kudos, the fact it was only open to you if your employer decided to take part and then the recent tightening up of the tax enforcement which had been always been pretty lax through customer and practice making people enter the scheme under false pretences. If a private company had sold using the examples Cyclescheme used and then enforced the small print that was in contracdiction of the sales patter trading standards and the courts would have been involved.

Typical government half baked scheme (like the home computer scheme) which will make it even less likely in future for people to sign up to this sort of initiative. An excellent concept right royally stuffed up by people who didn’t understand the people they were supposedly helping.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Cyclescheme – I feel robbed’ is closed to new replies.