Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cyclescheme
  • web_toed_marsdener
    Free Member

Just wondering what people have paid for bikes using the bikes to work scheme. Has anyone benefitted from online pricing or has the price of buying shot up as soon as you mention Cyclescheme?

Looking at a few of the websites of the major sellers, they withdraw their "discounted" prices if you choose this method of payment.

I'm wondering why this method of payment changes the selling level?

Any info?

Thanks.

Houns

Its all about margins and profits, cyclescheme will get discount at the bike shop therefore the bike shop are making less on the bike so will sell at the rrp

geoffj

IIRC the bike shops have to pay cyclescheme something for the paperwork. 10% sounds familiar. If the bike shop can absorb this they will, if they can't e.g. on an already heavily discounted model, they wont.
    Unless you are a 40% tax payer, and/or you are spending the full £1k, then the savings can be marginal over a discounted / interest free payment deal. Especially when you factor in the 5% or so purchase price at the end of the lease term.

web_toed_marsdener
    Free Member

Yeah, I understand margins well. The thing being, if you can "discount"(selling level) to a price which is 30-40% less than the "rrp" for a standard sale, the incentive for using cyclescheme is to achieve a 40% saving in tax and NI contributions.

Changing the selling level from shop prices to the "rrp" effectively negates any saving made through the scheme. You can therefore argue there is little point in using Cyclescheme to make a purchase.

:-$

web_toed_marsdener
    Free Member

Take this for example: http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/cycle-to-work-scheme-merlin-cycles.html

Specifically, could anyone tell me what they mean by "usual price" and "cash/online discount price".

I'm well confused.

geoffj

Specifically, could anyone tell me what they mean by "usual price" and "cash/online discount price".

If you pay by card on the website you get 10% off. If you want it through cyclescheme it will be full price.

web_toed_marsdener
    Free Member

Ok, but what is full price?

Each bike on the Merlin site > custom bikes page has a quoted "rrp" and "our" price. Click through on any bike and it quotes "usual price" and "our price", again differing figures to the previous page.

Maybe it is just their site. Evans cleared up any confusion over their pricing with a quick phone call. I'll try the same on Monday with Merlin.

:-$

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cyclescheme’ is closed to new replies.