Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • CycleActive Singletrack skills training. Worth it?
  • singletrackmind

I am thinking about a weekend with cycleactive. Probably the singletrack skills, folowed by jump and bump the next day.
    I like to think i am reasonably competant on singletrack, I can scare my self silly on Yoghurts pots and BKB. However , the other day one of the guys I ride with started on about turning the bike from your hips, reducing the moments of effort and making changes of direction quicker and easier. I just wang it in , elbows out , weight over the front with the bike cranked over and a deal of commitment to the turn.
    My drops and jumps are terrible. No consistancy, or any real ability ( didn’t get into biking till my late 20’s) so go over the front or bottle it and jam on the brakes at the last moment . I can drop off most things up to about 2ft, but anything that requires a small lift and push off with more than walking speeed , forget it.
    Any one flashed the cash and seen a definate improvement??
    Thinking FOD due to location and possibilty of free accom. nearby

Many Thanks

STM

clareymorris

Defo worth it – good craic too.
    I did one last year and although I wasn’t immediately Steve Peat, I have noticed a marked improvement in my riding since…

DaveGr
    Free Member

Did the “trials to trails” weekend and found it very good – relaxed weekend in Ambleside with some good tips picked up. Have also used AQR who are very good and cheaper. Their day one session is particularly good and overall I say try AQR first then Cycleactive though I’d recommend both as I’ve learnt where I’ve been going wrong all these years!!! Just have to put it all into practice.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I haven’t done any skills training with cycleactive however I’ve been on one of their awesome holidays and our British guide will be the guide who does the skills training, Richard Barnard. He was brillian, reallys knows his stuff and was very good in teaching people whilst we were away on holiday, he taught me how to wheelie (well I now know the prinicple I just need to practice now). Definately worth it I say.

crazy-legs

I heard someone say that £20 spent on Skills training is worth £200 spent on flashy bike bits and, having done a Skills Day with AQR, I can highly recommend it. It doesn’t matter what level you’re at, everyone learns something new or gets a bad habit highlighted. You get to meet some new folk too, it’s a nice day out.

JohnnyPanic

I did the Cycleactive Mountain Skills course August Bank holiday 2007 and definitely improved in confidence & ability. Really enjoyed it.

Well, I say that but 3 weeks later when my full suss Genius (which I’d done the course on) was in for a service I was riding my 1995 GT Tequesta with approx 30mm of front squish. Out with my mate on his Patriot. Feeling full of confidence on a rocky downhill bit I raced past him and… broke my collar bone. Hum.

I also did their Trials to Trails course August Bank holiday 2008 with Ritch Barnard and that was great too, and the evenings are good as well. Very good rider & a really good weekend. If you do it though, make sure you make notes each evening else you’ll forget all the little steps leading up to the skills.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘CycleActive Singletrack skills training. Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.