• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by 5lab.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cycle2Work scheme – VAT?
  • 5lab

Alright all. I just got access to our 'portal' for our Cycle2work scheme. I work for a large (~5,000 uk employees) company. It seems, from their calculations, that they're not going to give us the VAT back on bikes. Obviously they are entitled to claim the VAT (they're definately registered) – I'm wondering if anyone knows whether they *have* to take that off the figure I pay as an employee, or whether it's optional? Right now its saying I'll lose £83/month out of my pre-tax salery – ie exactly £1000/12

Thanks

Hugh

rootes1

it is up to the company as to whether pass on the VAT saving to employees – most do, some do not.

akira

Depends on their tax status as well I believe.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Purely at the companies discretion – may will choose not to pass on the VAT saving as a way of justifying the cost of administering the scheme and limiting the exposure they have – worst case scenario is that they would have to find £5m!

Generally it's done in order to get the scheme to actually happen, so I'd just make the best of it.

sorry I can't be the bearer of happier news, but at least they are offering it to employees….

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

(they're definately registered)

I am sure they are with 5,000 UK employees given you have to be with a turnover of circa. >£70k PA 😆

5lab

ok, thanks for the advice. Guess I now have to figure out if buying a bike at 30% off from an LBS is actually any cheaper than just buying one online 🙁

rootes1

ok, thanks for the advice. Guess I now have to figure out if buying a bike at 30% off from an LBS is actually any cheaper than just buying one online

still get the chance to pay monthly

DT78
    Free Member

My work didn't pass on VAT. With the final 10% repayment I basically paid retail. Was a bit disappointed to say the least. I suppose you could argue it;s a 12 month interest free loan.

Next bike will probably be sourced via Paulscycles….outside of the c2w.

highclimber
    Free Member

as mentioned, its an interest free loan. be greatful if they are offering it to you with or without VAT

bruneep

Yup my work added(hid) a huge admin fee in the total price, I was better off buying outwith the scheme buying last years model of bike.

5lab

well I've kicked up a fuss at their 'roadshow' about them profiting from us, who knows what'll happen

turns out, to add insult to injury, they only supply from halfords. ack.

jon1973
    Free Member

turns out, to add insult to injury, they only supply from halfords. ack.

So you'll be able to get any bike you want then.

saleem
    Free Member

well I've kicked up a fuss at their 'roadshow' about them profiting from us, who knows what'll happen

you could get the sack

5lab

So you'll be able to get any bike you want then.

except being able to add an extra £100 on or so to get a better model, or being able to get something from last years stock at a knockdown price

you could get the sack

thanks for the concern. Wasn't that much of a fuss

jon1973
    Free Member

except being able to add an extra £100 on or so to get a better model, or being able to get something from last years stock at a knockdown price

Most shops are the same though. Generally you have to pay the full RRP, and there are not many shops that let you add money on as this is not allowed under the rules.

Halfords is better in some ways cos they'll let you order any bike. A lot of LBS are restricted to certain makes.

rootes1

cyclescheme has the best spread of shops and makes, but then people whinge that cyclescheme use does not let them get boardman bikes….

what is that saying… "can't please all of the peop…"

funkynick

Halfords don't let you order any bike, they have a list of suppliers they can order off, and if it's not on the list you are in trouble…

However, if you live near a Leisure Lakes, then you can go in there and they take the Halfords vouchers, or they did this time last year, and they can get pretty much anything you want. I believe there might be some other shops that do the same…

:o)

5lab

ah well, got a response back from our HR people, apparnetly its because whilst we're big, we're actually lots of little entities, and claiming vat back across them all would be too tricky to set up

nads!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cycle2Work scheme – VAT?’ is closed to new replies.