Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cycle way has made it dangerous
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Ironically the work the local authorities have done to improve the cyclists lot seems to have made it worse 😕

In a particular spot where they've clearly gone to town trying to help the cyclist, it just seems to have made it a mare.
    The speed limit is down to 20MPH, there are now speed bumps and ASL's and cycle lanes that seem to come and go. The problem is that now motorists are desperate to get ahead of any cyclist so they can ignore the limits, but worse of all they speed off the lights to overtake cyclists in ASL's. It's lethal, I go about five miles out of my way to avoid it.
    And another thing, cyclists don't seem to be able to trigger the lights. So if I get caught at a red light very early in the morning they won't go green unless a car comes along – so it's either wait or jump.
    It was better before 😥

grumm
    Free Member

Same in a number of places here – they've spent a fortune making things worse 🙁

project
    Free Member

ASL,s advanced stop lines the red or green box, that taxis park in thinking that the lights will change quicker for them, they dont.

In chester there is an advanced stop line with a lead in lane on ther old dee bridge on the Handbridge side, all very nice, problem being it leads onto a narrow bridge, and on the left is a low wall with a sheer drop into the river dee, which is tidal, so sometimes its quite deep and sometimes shallow.

Silly mondeo driver a few weeks ago decided he would drive partly on the pavemnet to pass me, as the road is just a bit to narrow to pass a cyclist, he had a shock when he nearly hit a traffic light the other side, in his muppetdeo .

downgrade
    Free Member

So its not the work that's been done that's the problem, its bad driving?

oldgit
    Free Member

Yep.

project
    Free Member

Its both as the pavement is about 12 feet wide, so could easily have been made into a shared cyclepath, with a white line.

There have also been cases of cyclists beeing threatened by a walker, and knocked off their bikes on a designated Sustrans cycle route, through Blacon.

igm

There have also been cases of cyclists beeing threatened by a walker, and knocked off their bikes on a designated Sustrans cycle route, through Blacon.

Time to break out the Bombers folks – there's some ownin' needs doin'

aracer
    Free Member

And another thing, cyclists don't seem to be able to trigger the lights. So if I get caught at a red light very early in the morning they won't go green unless a car comes along – so it's either wait or jump.

In such circumstamnces I'll "jump" the lights – so shoot me – and regularly do on my local set of lights which often don't detect a bike (they have a phasing such that if I'm sitting waiting to turn right and the road I'm trying to turn into gets a phase instead I know they've forgotten me, so I just go then – I report them to the council every now and then and they get fixed, but they always go back again). The thing is, as much as drivers mights disapprove of doing so, it's not actually illegal, given that in such circumstances the lights are faulty.

Northwind

downgrade – Member

"So its not the work that's been done that's the problem, its bad driving?"

It is, but if you're designing something like this you should take into account the fact that a lot of road users are total fannies.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

so much work of this type is wasted because the planner shave no idea. My pet hate is the cycle lance where you don't need it that disappears as you get close to a junction where you do need it.

Along with chicanes with no place for a bike to go

Just maddening

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cycle way has made it dangerous’ is closed to new replies.