Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Cycle Trailers for Kids
  • Frodo

So we now have a baby, big shock life changing event etc. Riding is now down to once a week if I’m lucky!

The review of the Thule Chariot did get me thinking however but has anyone got any real world experience of other models? Specifically at a more affordable £3-400 range.

A quick check suggests the Thule Chariot Cheetah is slightly cheaper and the Weeride deluxe cheaper still.

Any experience appreciated, what have you had, when did you start (Oliver is a month old now) and how long did it last? What was good, bad, ugly?

Ta.

mrblobby
    Free Member

We have the Croozer 2 seater. They do a single seater which you can get for around 350 quid…

It’s nice in that it packs down for storage. And has attachments so you can use it as a buggy too (a wheel for road and another for offroad.) Bike attachment is pretty straightforward.

I do really like taking the kids out in it, and they really love it (one and three years old) but mrs blobby doesn’t really like me taking them on the roads (you’d think people wouldn’t drive like idiots if they see you with kids in a trailer, but you’d be wrong) and the cycle path network (at least round here) is not built with towing trailers in mind (actually it’s not built with riding a bike on it in mind!) with stupid staggered barriers and such like that you can’t get through. It’s a shame really as otherwise I’d use it a lot more.

I’ve also got a Hamax child seat and that got a lot of until No 2 came along.

Given the practical issues of using the trailer I’ve been looking at Extracycle for this sort of thing…

Though I think they are probably at the age where soon the youngest can go in the hamax and I can get a tag along for the oldest.

Back to the trailer. Really like the idea and taking the kids out is great. But have a think about where you could practically use it and how much you’d use it. Oh and make sure you have some decent low gearing as it’s hard work up the hills!

kimbers

croozer kid for 2 here

its quite wide but folds flat and wheels remove quickly/easily
    we used ours from about 6 months old with the sling

off road its great for trail centres, bridleways, sustrans etc, holidays, picnics, huge boot, is great for all kid paraphanalia, including balance bikes, shopping

the new one now has suspension too so would be even better

best of all its a lifestyle changer too
    I can drop the kids at nursery in the trailer, lock it up, my wife unlocks it and tows the kids home at pickup time
    or if the grandparents are picking up just stick the wheel on the front and its a buggy
    great for doing the shopping at the weekend too, no longer a slave to the car, we live in milton keynes with excellent cycling infrastructure so its perfect

now the eldest is 5 and at school hed rather ride his own bike though, than be seen by his mates in the trailer

ive posted this a few times but

[video]http://vimeo.com/104859583[/video]

Frodo

Great video, Croozer now in pole position!

ransos
    Free Member

The Croozer is very good (I had the single) but bear in mind the double is much wider than equivalent models from Burley and Chariot.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that BenCooper of this forum sells kids trailers. http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/parts-accessories/trailers/ I bought a Chariot off him around 9 or 10 years ago and it’s still going strong.

hatter

Chariot user of the past 3 years here, if you want to go off road, especially with a younger child suspension is very worthwhile as it stops the child getting jarred around nearly so much.

My advice if you really ca’nt stretch to a new one would be to track down a 2nd hand Chariot Cougar or CX, they last for ages and Madison hold loads of spares so you can usually keep older ones running.

jonathan
    Free Member

Got a Chariot CX1 that needs a new home here. I reviewed it for the mag (cough) 10 (TEN!) years ago. Nicely circular as I got it through Matt (who wrote the current review) when he was running a shop! It was possible the best 700 quid I ever spent on bike kit (he’s a good sales man). I can only heartily recommend it, and not just cos I need to sell this one 😉

Started at 4 months I think, with baby support. Used until about 3-4 with the first child, then til about 3 with the second as he always wanted to ride his bike with his big brother (where’s a 4.5 year gap between them). Fat tyres and suspension means it went pretty much anywhere (riding, running, ski slopes). Weather protect meant I could ride in any weather and kid would be happy (done below freezing snow, rain, etc, etc – always warm and dry)

I’ve been half-heartedly trying to sell it for a while, but needs to go – they’re way too big for it now! Bike kit, runing kit, stroller wheels, bunting bag, baby support, rain cover. Well used, bit tatty in spots, but still got years of service left.

jonathan
    Free Member

I’ve hardly got any pics of it cos I was always pulling it! Spectating and hiding from the mozzies at SSWC2007 in Aviemore 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/39wWFw]Midge protected![/url] by Jonathan Bateman, on Flickr

Edric64
    Free Member

I used an 80 quid one from Aldi there is no need to spend a fortune .

hatter

I used an 80 quid one from Aldi there is no need to spend a fortune

Yes, and you can but a mountain bike for £80…. but I’d bet you don’t ride one of these

mrblobby
    Free Member

great for doing the shopping at the weekend too, no longer a slave to the car, we live in milton keynes with excellent cycling infrastructure so its perfect

This would make a massive difference to the amount ours gets used. Our towns cycling “infrastructure” is shit, mind bogglingly appalling. I can only assume that it gets designed and implemented by people who have never ridden a bike.

Love that Swinley blue video. Must take mine down there, they’d love that. The only time they ever really complain about the trailer is when I try and get them out of it!

Edric64
    Free Member

The 80 quid trailer was fine and got sold at a car boot 4 years later for 40 quid .It was very well made .How the heck can one be worth 400 quid plus +.The same goes for poncy prams !

murf
    Free Member

We’ve a Burley D’lite (I think!) 2 seater. I’ve 2 boys who are now 4 1/2 and 2 1/2. Both have been in it since 6 months old and still fit now. I love it and the kids love it as well, one of the best baby related buys we’ve made. Gives the wife a rest, kids have fun and I get to pedal!

Eldest rarely goes in it as he’s been riding his own bike for the last year or so but still loves it when he is allowed a shot!

I borrowed a Chariot Cougar before I bought mine, the seatbelts were better and the suspension was a boon but they cost a fortune and it didn’t seem worth it as the Burley is 80% as good and was £80 second hand.

Get one!

Frodo

Jonathon – well I’m in the market so send me some details if your keen to get rid.

simon_g

Paid £250ish for a secondhand Chariot Cougar 1 (don’t just search for Thule, their buyout of Chariot was fairly recent), with the infant sling, jogging wheel, cycle trailer hitch, etc. All in good condition after they’ve used it for a couple of kids.

She’s 8 months but pretty small, I’ve not used it as anything more than an action pushchair yet.

ransos
    Free Member

We’ve a Burley D’lite (I think!) 2 seater. I’ve 2 boys who are now 4 1/2 and 2 1/2. Both have been in it since 6 months old and still fit now. I love it and the kids love it as well, one of the best baby related buys we’ve made. Gives the wife a rest, kids have fun and I get to pedal!

The D’lite has suspension as it’s their top of the range model – coil springs from 2013 onwards. Our kids love it and there was enough room in the boot to take my eldest cycle camping back in the summer.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Our Croozer is brilliant. Used exclusively off road since he was about 1. Trip round Ladybower with a stop for pie and peas is priceless. Dragging him up a steep hill is great training (The Bastard, Porters Brook, 1×10 and trailer anyone?) and since my Mrs loves riding too gives a great family day out, or good way for and him to spend time together while keeping fit. He loves it.

cookeaa

I have an old one of these, with one flat tyre, knocking about in the shed:

Needs to go, if you’re within picking up distance of Reading, you can have it for say twenty euro sheckles, ours loved being towed along the local sustrans routes, but are much too big now…

bajsyckel

We’ve got a chariot that we picked up 2nd hand and had barely been used as a jogger, then got the attachment kit ourselves to use as a trailer. Would no way pay full price for one, despite how good they are. keep an eye out, although second-hand prices are pretty eye-watering unless you catch a bargain.

Croozers are good too, and Qeridoo (IIRC) are decent. I was going to get the latter from Germany after reading some of the reviews over there but think you can now get them in UK.

One thing though, they aren’t really up for proper off-road use IME. Even on stuff as rough as a trail centre you can get into trouble. Particularly off camber/rough surfaces can see you with an unstable load, as can clipping one wheel or going off any size drops not 100% straight. I’ve rolled ours a few times (most embarrassingly on the spooky wood descent at Glentress) and though there’s no damage to trailer or cargo am now very cautious. Smooth, wide off road stuff they are great at though.

bruk

I ended up buying a Qeridoo from Germany as new Chariots and Burleys were too pricey and couldn’t get a decent one on eBay.

It’s great, use it for school run and trips round the forest. Being a two seater you get a good amount of space for the kids and a decent boot to fit stuff in. Suspension is bit basic but better than rigid. Has a waterproof cover over the mesh and actually seems to cope with light drizzle pretty well though I must look for full cover for this winter.

Comes with a wee wheel and is great for off road walks too.

It is pretty wide though and won’t fit through standard doors and does need a fair amount odd space to get in a boot of a car

bigrich

northernmatt

Another vote for Croozer Kid for 2 here. I have the older version which I managed to get off eBay for £150. Set up a couple of search alerts on eBay so you get a notification when one is listed. Didn’t get ours until he was about 18 month, below that age they recommend you use a baby sling which clips in. I think they cost about £20-30. Our little lad still goes in it now at 3.1/2yrs even though he is getting a bit too tall for it.

Take note of what mrblobby says as well. Got ours thinking it would get loads of use but the cycle paths round here are no use at all with barriers and the like all over the place. I take it on roads but only quiet side streets. Great for nipping to the shops as well, can fit a surprising amount in especially if you leave the kid at home.

alexh
    Free Member

I’ve got a Weber from Germany. Ridiculous how well its built.

It doesn’t get used as much as it should.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/btwin-child-bike-tow-trailer-yellow-grey-id_8209834.html

Well-built, not heavy and safe.
    No suspension, but we all know hardtails are the best way to learn 😉

kimbers

Was wondering if you could fit fatbike tyres on a regular rim, vee do a 29 inch one…
    Extra suspension…

Eurobike 2015: Vee Tire Co

ctk
    Free Member

I have an old Burley D’lite (10 yrs old at a guess) £40 pick up south wales. It looks terrible but functions fine.

I listed it for sale a while ago. Buyer didn’t turn up.

kimbers

I meant 20 inch rim, that green would go well on the croozer !

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I was looking at 2.4″ BMX tyres for ours.
    We have the version with handbrake shoes, which would foul. All else looks good and rarely use the brake so could remove it.

snownrock

Qeridoo Sportrex 2 here, its excellent. Big though! Don’t notice it when you’re towing it though until you reach a hill. Croozer plus spec for a lot less money

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Cycle Trailers for Kids’ is closed to new replies.