• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by joey.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cycle Touring with the kids from Manchester (+ other connected ramblings)
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

So I’ve got bursitis on my elbow, which is somewhat limiting the MTB/bouldering/scrambling that would normally be done at this time of year. The only stuff that seems to work is running and road biking.

The kids (9&11) have occasionally expressed interest in “cycling somewhere and then camping” and I recko it’d be a good idea for some weekend in May/June. The problem is twofold:

1) Carrying all the crap. We’ve got a huge selection of bikes, but very few have any carrying capacity. Also, I think the 9yo would have very limited appetite for loaded touring and it would make sense for me to carry most of the load. So I was thinking about a trailer. Does anybody have a BOB trailer or similar that I could buy borrow/hire for a weekend?

2)Alternatively I could buy a new hitch for the Chariot and use that instead. It’s not ideal for a 40 mile cycle but should be alright. Which leaves the second quandry… where to go. The idea of packing the 4 bikes and associated crap into the campervan, driving for miles, unpacking all the crap, cycling 20 miles and then spending the night in an uncomfy tent whilst the campervan sits in a layby down the road seems daft.
    So I want to do a route from home (south Manc) but am sorely lacking inspiration on where to go.

Anyone got any recommendations of non lethal rides from Manc with a campsite at the other end. Perhaps 20-30 miles.

cheers

scaled
    Free Member

trans pennine trail?

nbt

Hayfield has a campsite and is doable on easy trails / quiet roads. You could even hire one of the “glamping” tents

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hayfield is indeed oly 20 miles away, not a bad option. Presumably could do the first bit by cycling along the Mersey (starting in Altrincham).

I was thinking of the TPT, but alas it doesn’t work with the trailer. It never occured to the arseholes that built it that people might want to use it for cycling with very young kids.

Way too many crushes and horse gates. 🙁

MoreCashThanDash

Something along the Monsal or High Peak/Tissington Trails? Camping/bunkhouse at the Royal Oak at Hurdlow.

Maybe to start do a ride and overnight at a cheap hotel. A mate took his family to a Travelodge in Nottingham along the towpaths just carrying a change of kit to ride home next day as a starter.

nbt

We cycle tour on the tandem, pannier full of clothes and hit the B&B (or travelodge / premier in / pub with rooms). Easier and much more comfortable than this camping malarky 😉 Bit more expensive, admittedly, but might be worth it for your first adventure

ruddy
    Free Member

How about jumping on the train towards the lakes and plan a route around Morecambe to Carnforth (flat) or something further north?

joey
    Free Member

train to buxton then Monsal train?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cycle Touring with the kids from Manchester (+ other connected ramblings)’ is closed to new replies.