Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cycle touring tents
  • Bigface0_0
    Free Member

With the summer just around the corner, what tent do you use? and how do you carry them?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cot a wild country trisar from years ago, it generally goes in a pannier but next time is going on a trailer

titusrider
    Free Member

terra nova voyager xl ?

(bought but not been used yet)

two week tour for two around the western isles

Rik
    Free Member

Hilleberg nallo 2 gt – best on the market, mines 9 years old and still going strong ad sitting out any storm in comfort and with room.

colin27
    Free Member

Second the Hilleberg Nallo 2GT. It’s huge inside, packs down small and is indestructible. 4 months touring round New Zealand in all weathers and it was perfect. In fact, it’s probably the best product I’ve ever bought.

AJ
    Free Member

2.6kg and £645. really?

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

I spent 6 weeks the other summer in a Vango spirit 200+ a very good tent an worth the slightly extra weight. Its big enough for two without having to be overly friendly and the porch is most handy when the weather is poor or just for getting all the kit out inside.

colin27
    Free Member

There’s enough space to fit 4 in that tent if you wanted to. I’d always pick comfort over weight and being cramped for the night. However, if you’re so inclined a Terra Nova Laser is probably the way to go, or maybe just a tarp, hedgerow, bus stop, credit card – how light do you want to go!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

we use an MSR hubba hubba HP

they do a green version now i believe, our yellow one is a major insect trap. I rate it very highly, it’s got the height that some don’t have which makes getting dressed/cooking etc far more comfortable. It’s not the most stable in wind but it’s a willing sacrifice i’ve made for weight/pack size

Stoner
    Free Member

Check out a bit I’ve written in here,
    http://pompinos.blogspot.com

Rik
    Free Member

What’s your point AJ? Are you calling it heavy? There is nothing as light, for the strength, durability and space. Nothing comes close.
    Expensive? Yes it is, mine was £400 9 years ago. I’d happily buy another at the new price. I agree best bit of kit I’ve ever bought!

Waderider
    Free Member

Regarding tents that have lasted x years, tents shall last a long time sitting in a cupboard. Number of nights is were it is at.

I have a Hilleberg Akto that needed a new groundsheet after a couple of hundred nights, and a Macpac Minaret that has had similar use and is like new. I can recommend either manufacturer, and if you can’t afford Hilleberg or Macpac, I’ve had a good tent from Vango in the past.

Stoner
    Free Member

My den2 did prob 70 consecutive nights and still excellent condition.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would say 2.6 kgs for a two man tent is heavy. Its about the same as mine. I have had much lighter tents. However for a large two man its not that bad for weight

Like many things tents are a comprimise. Its nce to be able to have a bit of extra room in the tent – two folk can sit comfortably in ours and you can get dressed easily in it. Howeer that comes at a price – weight.

We spend a lot of time in the tent over the years so that bit of extra room is good

I reakon our tent has 300 or so nights use and is still totally waterproof.

So decide on your compromises. Is it for a fortnights holiday – a bit of extra room is nice. Is it for just a single night at a time – you might get away with a smaller one. Want to use it for years? Get a high quality one.

Strong / light / cheap pick two

Rik
    Free Member

Just looked at my diary from last year

2010 – 79 nights under canvas

That’s all year round Inc Christmas and New Year, Scottish winter, Alpine mountaineering

Now times that by 9 years plus a 3 month trip round Europe.

Btw Macpac – would be my second choice but ive herd quality is crap since the move from NZ

Rik
    Free Member

2.6kg for a 4 season tent that you can store your bikes in the porch and still have enough room to sit out a storm. Heavy or still only reasonable? Your having a laugh

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rik – its not bad weight wise for a big two man tent – but its still a heavy two man tent when you can get them under a kilo.

RichT

At the other end of the market, I got a Vango Banshee 200 for about £80 and it has been great. Under 2kgs and it packs down quite small. Of course it isn’t as good as more expensive tents, but I have been quite pleased with it for 3 season camping. However, I must say that it would be quite a squeeze with two adults in it. I have used it as a one man or with my 9 year old son.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Rik – its not bad weight wise for a big two man tent – but its still a heavy two man tent when you can get them under a kilo.

There are two man tents and two man tents though arn’t there?

One two man tent is little more than room to lie down very close to each other and another may have enough room for you both to sit up + bags + a little port for cooking e.t.c. You can’t compare a <1 kg man tent that is more for adventure racing or just a minimal shelter to one that you can actually live in over a prolonged period of time. That’s comparing apples and oranges.

As you say it’s a compromise depending on your needs but you can’t compare two tents from opposite ends of the spectrum clearly made for very different things. That’s what politicians do.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cycle touring tents’ is closed to new replies.