Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cycle touring Ireland advice….and are brooks saddles worth the ££££?
  • ollie151
    Free Member

I’m trying to plan a trip to Ireland in May. Anyone cycled there? Will it rain the whole time??? Any other advice?

And what saddle recommendations? Brooks worth it?

Cheers

kilo

Where will you be entering Ireland and how, on bike, by car, plane?

aa
    Free Member

It will probably rain the whole time.
    I love my Brooks on my mtb, but not on my road bike. Make of that what you will! The rear of the saddle (a swift) is lovely and comfort-y, the nose is HARD. ymmv of course.

siwhite
    Free Member

No idea about Ireland, but I love my Brooks Cambium…

Saccades
    Free Member

Ireland generally gets a decent patch of weather in may and september, summer is just a rainy mess (this is east coast btw).

Whereabouts are you planning to tour?

drofluf
    Free Member

If you’re comfortable on a Brooks then yes. I find them very comfy, others a torture

firestarter
    Free Member

I found my b17 lovely but the c17 Cambium was awful

gerti
    Free Member

Have you a vague route or area planned?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

+1 for Brooks, but

a – You bet them in with your balls/perineum. Prepare your, uhh, undercarrage.
    b – You must treat them with the correct leather stuff, or they’ll shrink/stretch/split/die. NB – taking the fishy-smelling tin of treatment with you to a hot country* can be a nasty mistake.

* Ireland – LOL

scotroutes

All the Brooks models are different. B17 is a good place to start. I got on with mine right away, none of this “breaking in”. Of course, YMMV.

neilthewheel

Keep off the main roads.

jerrys
    Free Member

I’m not getting on too well with the Cambium C17 my brother gave me. He hated it. I will persevere a bit longer.

stevious

Toured on the N coast of Northern Ireland last year for a few days and it was excellent. Worth considering.

aroyalnit
    Free Member

Cycled from Cork to Derry across a few days a few years ago. We were probably a bit lucky with the weather (very little rain!), it was great. I’d echo staying off the main roads, as traffic won’t really be very used to cyclists being on the road and hammer round corners etc quite fast. Google street view was pretty handy with route planning.

The smaller roads were generally fantastic (a coupe of the roads were a little rough going on a road bike), and no hassle from motorists like you can get in the uk – we got a few horn toots of seemingly genuine encouragement though!

Driver attitude seemed to change as soon as we crossed into Northern Ireland, though…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cycle touring Ireland advice….and are brooks saddles worth the ££££?’ is closed to new replies.