Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cycle Touring In Andalucia – Suggestions?
  • senojevad
    Free Member

The mrs and I have booked some flights to Malaga in the hope of having an enjoyable week cycling around southern spain. We’ll probably do about 100km /day on road/ripio so maybe visit Seville, Cordoba or Granada.
    Anyone any recommendations?

ElShalimo

I’ve not cycled around there but have been to Andalucia several times.
    Granada is really nice because of the Alhambra, old Moorish quarter and the stunning back-drop of the Sierra Nevada but there’s not much more to it than that for the average tourist. There are some nice buildings like the cathedral and university buildings.

Depends how you go but if you go from Malaga to Sevilla, Antequera is a lovely small city, Ronda and the nearby Sierra de Grazalema is beautiful. Grazalema is nice place to stay too
    It will be hilly which ever way you go as you have to cross Cordillera Penebetica range

The area around Sevilla can be really hot for most of the year, it was 36C in early October last year when we were there. Sevilla is really nice and if you’re over that way then Cadiz is a suprisingly nice compact city and the coastline from there to Tarifa is lovely. It’s the tuna coast from Zahora, Cape Trafalgar, Barabate to Zahara de los Atunes. So great if you like tuna !
    The coast along to Tarifa is very windy though but really nice. Vejer de la Frontera is a wonderful little place to stay in

From Tarifa to Gibraltar is a bit rubbish as General Franco built all the heavy industry around Algeciras (concrete factories, petrochemical facilities etc.) to upset the Brits in Gibraltar.
    From Gibraltar back to Malaga isn’t the prettiest route but there’s no shortage of places to stay.

hope this helps

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 for lots of nice cycling around Ronda (great roads, lots of white villages and amazing scenery). Ronda itself is pretty touristy but worth a visit to see the bridge and the views.

Miguelo

ElShalimo is right, plenty of good info there. As he said from Gibraltar to Málaga is better to avoid the coast, much nicer inland but very hilly.
    I have to disagree about Granada though, it’s the nicest city in Andalucía! (best tapas too).

Wikiloc is great to find routes.

If you prefer to travel off road there are several MTB-touring routes(read long distance, scenic , mainly off road, non technical paths):

Transandalus is one of them, it crosses the 8 Andalusian provinces in a loop, it’s 2000 km long but you could do a much shorter loop with a bit of planing. It’s been designed to be ridden on MTBs with panniers so shouldn’t be too technical. It’s not marked on the ground but there’s plenty of info on the website (maps,tracks).

Transnevada it’s a new official MTB route. It’s signposted and apparently is very easy to follow. It’s about 500km long, around Sierra Nevada mountain range in Granada province. It’s very hilly, mainly on dirt roads, forest roads and quiet tarmac roads(no technical singletrack). Lots of info in the net but mainly in Spanish.

ElShalimo

Miguelo – lo siento
    You’re right, the nicest tapas I ever had was somewhere in El Albaicin. Lots of wine involved so no idea where it was…. 😀

druidh
    Free Member

Miguelo – Thank you for posting that. I’ve been mulling over some options for a bit of continental biking and you might just have it!

Miguelo

ElShalimo – no worries, I used to live in Granada (6 years), so I might be a bit biased…

druidh – you’re welcome, just ask if you need any help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cycle Touring In Andalucia – Suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.