Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • cycle to work scheme starts at work tomorrow
  • white101

As it only happens for 4 weeks and I’mstill off the bike through the ankle break should i really be considering a new bike ? A cx in particular. I will be using it for work at least 2 days a week. Haven’t discussed the option
    the boss yet either, specialy not today as she just spent the day clearing the garage of junk and very pleased with her efforts.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

You should regret the things you’ve done not the things you haven’t done,

Get one.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

surely the title to this thread should be “what cx bike for c2w?”

FuzzyWuzzy

You’re better off these days getting a credit card with 6+ month interest free purchases option.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“You’re better off these days getting a credit card with 6+ month interest free purchases option”

Based on ?

i signed up in oct last year and will pay 540 quid for a 950 quid voucher for a road rat – didnt see many of those being discounted – even the much stiffer and heavier genisis alfine was 200 quid more.

my mrs bought 300 quid of clothes on the C2W this year – reflective winter gear for significantly less than even the cheapest prices on last years gear…. under the safety equipment rules.

mrchrispy

I didn’t bother this year, it’s getting difficult to justify another ride but didn’t realise equipment was not covered….I’d have stocked up on kit if I knew that.

dannybgoode

@t_r – does that £540 include the final payment you have to make to buy the bike at the end of the year?

I’ve looked at our bike to work scheme and taking that final payment into account it doesn’t work out hugely cheaper when all added up.

A £1k bike will cost me £690 in contributions but at the end I then choose either a) to pay 7% of the initial value of the bike to keep it for 3 more years or pay 25% of the initial value to own it outright.

All schemes have these options as they are required under the terms of the CTW initiative.

So, to keep it outright I pay £690 through the year and then £250 to keep it = £940. I save £60 – whoopee!

I can choose to pay the deposit of £70 to keep it for 3 years and then keep the bike after that period but the bike still ends up costing me £760.

Yes its a saving but if I leave work during the initial 12 months the scheme is non-cancellable and I would have to pay the remaining lump sum without any tax deductions and a higher lump sum if I wanted to own the bike during the 3 year ‘rental period’.

Also, bear in mind that if you purchase through CTW the shop has to sell you the bike at list price. Quite often you can negotiate a good chunk of a new bike that makes the CTW price not worth it.

All in all, once you delve the small print its not that great a scheme in my opinion.

Cheers

Danny B

trail_rat
    Free Member

what final payment……

mines goes onto a 5 year rolling where by at the end of the scheme it will be written off.

Likewise its also written in my contract that if im made redundant then the total ammount payable will be no more than the sum total of the 12 monthly payments.

If i leave there is a levy to be paid to transfer to my ownership as per your scheme.

dannybgoode

Mine has two options – 1 to pay a deposit of 7% of purchase price (if the bike was over £500 which mine would be) and at the end of 3 years keep the bike and lose the 7% or give it back and get the deposit back

or

Pay 25% of the value and keep the bike – its yours…

Its all the clauses if you leave that put me off my scheme.

I guess the important thing is to make sure people read all the termination clause before getting what they think will be a cheap bike but ends up costing them.

Hence why I’d rather haggle the price down and pay for it my self.

Cheers

Danny B

MoreCashThanDash

I got a Pinnacle Arkrose 3 on c2w. Best all round bike I’ve ever had.

I pay basic rate tax and it works out 25% cheaper on the scheme, including the final buy back. Thought that was worth doing. Given that my employer is HMRC I naively assumed they’d have those figures correct.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘cycle to work scheme starts at work tomorrow’ is closed to new replies.