Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • cycle theft – university project research
  • mjd18
    Free Member

Hi,
    i am a final year university student studying Product Design. for my final major project i have chosen to focus on the problem of bicycle theft, which as a keen cyclist myself has always been a painful issue. If you have ever had u bike stolen it would be much appreciated if you would take a minute to fill out a questionnaire that i have written up to help with my research.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KVQHS9R

thanks for the help!!

Matt

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

FFS – another one? You a regular on here?

Done anyway

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Done. Third university student survey this week.

Question 8 Day or Night. Needs another option. “I have no idea but when I went to get my bike out after a couple of days it was gone.” or maybe something a little catchier.

Rather than knowing about cycling habits would it also be useful to know if people changed their security setup?

Cougar

Done.

I think you’ve missed the most important question,

“how did it make you feel?”

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I do find your questionnaires very poorly worded and structured, so for that reason I’m out.

donsimon
    Free Member

Nice and quick, could do with better signposting. 😆

Done. Third university student survey this week.

Isn’t this the modern way? Maximum result for minimum input = more time in student union bar. Pefect preparation for the demands of modern life.

CaptJon
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member
    I do find your questionnaires very poorly worded and structured, so for that reason I’m out.

Not to mention ethically dubious. What university? Is there someone i could contact if i decide to withdraw my answers? Where is the information about why the questionnaire is being done?

And why ask those questions when the information is likely available in the crime stats/previous research.

mjd18
    Free Member

Thanks all for the help and feedback!
    much appreciated!

cheers,
    matt

andrewh
    Free Member

Slightly OT but I was walking accross my campus once and passed the bike racks outside my department, broad daylight, a few people around but not really busy. Two guys atacking a bike lock with a hacksaw, watched them for a couple of minutes. No-one challenged them so I went over to have a word. They showed me a lock with half a key in it and the other half of a broken key, so I let them carry on.
    Made me think though, if they can do that with all these people passing and no-one saying anything how easy it must be for real theives.

donsimon
    Free Member

I good trick I heard bike thieves used was to stick half a key into the lock and then happily hacksaw away. They told me it was amazing how many people left them alone and those who did ask were so easily fobbed off, suckers they said. 😛

sc-xc

FFS – another one? You a regular on here?

Exactly what the guy behind the bar of a pub I went into the other day. He served me, but let me know I wasn’t welcome 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Exactly what the guy behind the bar of a pub I went into the other day. He served me, but let me know I wasn’t welcome

Eh?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Did you really get ethical approval for this survey?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Does anyone really think people would need ethical approval for what is effectively a design project containing no personal info at all? Do you request ethical approval for people in the pub who ask you questions too?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Do you request ethical approval for people in the pub who ask you questions too?

If you are asking them as part of a research project, then Yes

rustybike
    Free Member

A quick bit of drunken stalking later and it seems he goes to Brighton Uni and does jump/4x

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2009918/

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Brighton? In that case ethical approval probably not required.

coffeeking
    Free Member

If you are asking them as part of a research project, then Yes

Well, it could be that I’m out of touch with recent requirements but I’ve never been instructed to instruct students to do such approvals (engineering) when conducting surveys. I have, however, seen it all the time in medical related or such surveys. Scouting through a few university policies and from experience I assume (but could be wrong) that it doesn’t apply unless in the medical realms. Certainly where medical/eng cross over there’s a LOT of paperwork that goes with it including such things, but engineering doesn’t make use of it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘cycle theft – university project research’ is closed to new replies.