Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cycle Speedway
  • guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Anyone ever tried this or race regularly?

I’d never heard of it until watching this weeks mini-movies (tenuous link from one of the movies). Looks like fun and there’s a place only a couple of miles away from where I live where I can have a go.

Will it satiate my desire to go and have another go at a velodrome (of which there are none near me)?

Cheers
    jon

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Having once raced the ‘proper’ speedway, I just can’t see how this would work? I needed a BIG engine to slide out and I don’t think my legs are up to the same with pedals! 😯

michaelmcc
    Free Member

It seems a really odd sport to me, not sure if it would be any better on a bike. Wouldn’t you need a different kind of setup to a normal trail bike to do it properly? Each to their own.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Never done it, watched it looks great fun.
    Fast, exciting, cheap. Worth a go if there is one near you I’d say.

I know some people who bought frames from here but used them for polo

http://www.archie-wilkinson.co.uk/

£220 for an entire bike.

I bet you can hire though though from a club.

nbt

I raced a couple of time when ST mg ran some “fish out of water” articles a few years ago. Fun, but hard work, and a high risk of losing skin. The races are fast, frantic and furious and you will be blowing like a beached whale halfway through, but really exhilarating. Go give it a try

bike wise you do need a specific bike with the right geometry, the club we went to had a load of bikes for people to use but the keen racers had their own

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Cheers for the responses. Might see if I can have a go on Monday. I’ll contact them tomorrow.

They do specify that you must be covered neck-to-toe to minimise skin loss. Sound advice I’d say.

£220 for a whole bike? Not bad. Doubt I’ll be buying one unless I really enjoy it over a few weeks/months.

antigee

new track just opened in Shefield

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-14347491

[not news]last year at city centre cycling event were doing demo races and had bikes for kids to have a go – seemed family friendly but open sessions clashed with some other sport commitment so we never went[/just read what i typed]

rp16v
    Free Member

one of our customers is quite high in the euro vets catagory think hes been top5 last few years and ses bloody fast very big sport in poland

meehaja
    Free Member

Big in europe (especially poland) I used to train with a club but never raced properly (just with other club members). Good laugh and fun for a summers evening, couldn’t really commit to regular race meets due to work, small club meant I got a bit bored of racing the same people week in week out and when the season ended I never went back.

Essentially you ride a steep angled mountain bike or road bike frame with moustache type bars, single speed free wheel and no brakes. CX tyres are popular.

Starting together on the line, you all sprint for the first corner. some try to keep it tight, some go for the midline and drift the back wheel out, I liked to go wide and sprint through the corners to keep the speed up.

4 laps and its all over. Crashes are common and contact is tolerated (within reason) wear long sleeves and gloves as the shingle will tattoo if it gets into an abrasion.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

I used to race it, mainly when I was in my teens, I was alright at it, made a couple of British Finals, and a World final, started again at an STW come and try it event, got roped into racing properly, didnt get the same enjoyment, broke a few bones over a few seasons, and packed it in again….

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

antigee – that’s the one near me. From the website they seem quite friendly and willing to let anyone have a go.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cycle Speedway’ is closed to new replies.