Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Cycle on the left?
  • g5604
    Free Member

It is still correct to cycle on the left? I have a roadie on my commute (going the other way) who get’s very angry when I don’t yield to the right – this has happened 4 or 5 times now… very confused as to why he can be upset.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Never heard of that, on a cycle path?.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We drive/cycle on the left in the UK so yes, tell him to poke it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    g5604
    Free Member

yes, shared cycle path. I think he does not want to go onto the “rough” side.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Then he should ride a more appropriate bike for the road conditions. There’s lots of fashion victims in the wrong bike these days.

cookeaa

Not quite sure what you mean here…

I have a roadie on my commute (going the other way) who get’s very angry when I don’t yield to the right

As in He comes up behind you and expects you to peel off to his right so He can come through?

If so it Sounds like He’s confused the commute with his Sunday morning club run or a session at the Velodrome…

Edit: just read above, sounds like he just want’s priority… call him a knobber and carry on.

g5604
    Free Member

sorry, I am going the opposite direction. I see him nearly everyday, but the game of chicken always takes place on the same stretch.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Stop for a stretch just before you meet/pass, then its entirely up to him to go round you. Do this every day.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Practice your BMX start gate sprint and race face while shouting ‘SPARTA’ along that stretch, on the left.

rocketman
    Free Member

Stop

Have noticed Johnny Foreigner does this when they’re on holiday

Whether on foot or some form of non-motorised transport, rather than yield they simply stop. We Brits are too polite it works every time

cookeaa

Proper roadies don’t do cycle paths do they?

g5604
    Free Member

only alternative is busy dual carriageway.

I am going to try and stop and block, just so I can have a chat with the chap.

bigyinn
    Free Member

He’s the man, he thinks you’re his bitch.
    Are you? Are you his bitch?

fooman

As you are not on a highway I doubt there is a hard and fast rule beyond both riders giving way as appropriate to the trail conditions, with a bias to passing left as that is what most people would do in the UK.

allthepies
    Free Member

There is no convention but it would make sense for both parties to stick to their respective left (as on the road) i.e. exactly what you’re doing. Just carry on and ignore the roadie rant 🙂

matt_outandabout

Full face, full body armour, steel boots, big gloves.

Take the standoff right through to the bitter conclusion.

thegreatape
    Free Member

You omitted jousting lance.

snaps
    Free Member

Everything on this sign seems obvious to me but some still need telling.

core

I was up on Long Mynd the other week, there’s lots of shared use paths up there, and every time I met pedestrians, despite me being on the left already, they moved over to my side and made me pass them on the right.

I don’t get it, in the UK, we drive on the left, and that is accepted convention, regardless of mode of transport or classification of right of way, shirley?

GHill

I don’t get it, in the UK, we drive on the left, and that is accepted convention, regardless of mode of transport or classification of right of way, shirley?

You should walk on the right on a road (i.e., facing the traffic). Probably a source of confusion.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wider bars?

brooess
    Free Member

All we can do is guess his preferences/reasons.
    Why not ask him yourself when you next see him – not confrontational, just flag him down and explain what you’re thinking and you don’t understand his actions.

Unless he’s a total git, he’ll probably explain and you’ll both go away much happier 🙂

For me half the benefit of cycling as a form of transport is you can actually communicate with people face to face as human beings and sort things out rather than gesticulating unintelligibly and staying angry like we do in cars.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I had this a few weeks ago on a bike lane next to a road. I kept left and a bloke heading the other way road into me. Fuckgin retard.

arogers
    Free Member

I would always stay left, as you have done OP. In the UK for some reason we haven’t fully adopted the “keep left” convention anywhere but on the road. Anyone who’s lived in the US will have noticed they use this principle anywhere there’s flow of traffic, motorised or otherwise. For example in shopping centres or airports everyone will walk on the right. It’s common sense to them. Seems a little bizarre that it isn’t to us.

wrecker
    Free Member

I was crossing paths with some dickhead at afan a while back, we had a little comedy dance which I found amusing. He didn’t and felt the need to tell me that we drive on the left in this country. I voiced my reply loud enough to ensure he heard it. Bellend.

nikk
    Free Member

Keep to the left. It is not rocket surgery.

aracer
    Free Member

So you wanted to ride on the right and you’re calling him names?

wrecker
    Free Member

No. It was just a little silly thing. He rounded the corner on the right so I moved to the right then we second guessed each other before said dickhead made his stupid comment (in case you missed it, we weren’t on a road or driving, there were no rules).

Gary_M
    Free Member

Proper roadies do when it’s appropriate, the ones that just think they’re proper roadies don’t because they think it’s not pro enough.

Part of my commute is 12 miles of cycle path, or rather segregated highway, if I see a rider coming the opposite way I move to the left. Makes sense to me.

Had an incident last year with a guy coming toward me, he was on my left and not paying attention, I moved to the middle of the path, he looks up just before we meet, sees me then swerves to his left, straight into my path. That hurt.

nikk
    Free Member

Move to the left.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

ON THE LEFT. Always, for everything locomotive. Particularly stupid idiot joggerists.

I am tired of explaining these rules to people shouting at me for getting in their way. Jesus wept, out his left eye. Sigh.

johnnystorm

Stick to the left?! Around here on the Broads we stick to the RIGHT! 😆

RobHilton
    Free Member

Horsey people like to pass of the right – apparently. Yes, I realise this doesn’t count as driving 🙂

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

I had this a few weeks ago on a bike lane next to a road. I kept left and a bloke heading the other way road into me. Fuckgin retard.

Had similar a few years ago. He knew he was wrong too. Muppet

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Same stretch every morning?. Get there a bit earlier, when he comes along have your old chap out, and be in tears.

He won’t bother you again.

Speshpaul

“Around here on the Broads we stick to the RIGHT! “
    thats because you have all got massive right feet and tiny left ones.

miketually
    Free Member

A whole chunk of the Giro the other day was on a bike path. But they have proper bike paths over on the continent.

antigee

to formalise* the daily routine some signage needs installing

*horrible US spell checker never ever will I write formalize

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Cycle on the left?’ is closed to new replies.