Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Cycle Donington events cancelled due to 'Strava idiots'
  • iain1775
    Free Member

With immediate notice 🙁

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/news/2014/07/17/important-information-about-the-cycle-in-the-park-event-cancellations/

The excuse about evening trackday and testing bookings taking precedence is b/s as Donington’s license states such events have to finish at 5pm or dusk whichever is earlier
    This is strava chasing assholes ruining it for all, I was there on Tuesday towing my 4 year old along and it was a great event for all ages and abilities, shame a minority have to ruin it for all

Also a shame that Donington can’t manage it better, they split timings this week 5.30-6.30 families only, 6.45 onwards no families, that seems to have made it even worse as it was largely ignored by both sides which seems to have led to some conflicts, surely it would be easier to run the 2 events every month as usual but one for families only and one for club cyclists/competent

Seems such a great opportunity wasted, especially given the cancellation of Derby’s closed road circuit plans

scandal42
    Free Member

This is a real shame, I really enjoyed it on Tuesday and didn’t witness any incidents mayself.

The only thing I did see was inexperienced cyclists going around corners with their inside pedal down, it made me wince.

There were groups of keen racers going round in peleton style form and I suppose this could cause issues.

Agree about the use of the track for motor events in the evening, it seems very unlikely.

somouk
    Free Member

Reads to me like they’ve had more injuries than they thought they would have and need to improve medical cover.

Not sure how that links to Strava?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scandal42
    Free Member

somouk,

I saw at least 1 ambulance driver trying to set KOM’s

njee20
    Free Member

Not sure how that links to Strava?

Haterz gon’ hate. It’s always Strava’s fault. 🙄

allthepies
    Free Member

Seems to be an insurance issue. Not sure why that’s all Strava’s fault.

nemesis
    Free Member

recent events have made it clear that the large speed differentials, a certain lack of consideration and due care by a few participants,

I’ve seen this cause problems in races/events for the 20 years I’ve been cycling. How long has Strava been around?

atlaz
    Free Member

OP doesn’t like strava. Event he likes cancelled. Strava is to blame.

andermt
    Free Member

The track is used quite regularly for motor evening events (I’ve run some in the past).

Evening trackdays run from 17:30 to 20:30. (There is one on the 31st July, 1st Aug & 14th Aug)

scandal42
    Free Member

So non of the dates planned for the cycle events?

simon1975

Did someone prop the gate open again?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Sounds moar like it was caused by mincers dragging kids around…

andermt
    Free Member

Scandal42,
    those 3 dates I found in 2 mins looking at a particular trackday website.

They also rent the circuit out to clubs, private tests etc quite a bit as well and they won’t show up on that site.
    The events I helped run were for a car club so were never publically advertised or known, it was effectively a private event.

MoreCashThanDash

Real shame, my lad and I have loved the nights we’ve been to. Not seen any problems due to differences in speeds and skills, so I doubt Strava is to blame. Not sure I’ve actually seen anyone injured while we’ve been going.

Still, their track, their rules I guess.

Trekster

Maybe the cyclists using should take more responsibility for the “events” 💡

Seems to be a theme emerging…….

jota180
    Free Member

There are lots of evening events for motorsport and industry PR at Donnington or events that go into the evening.

Perhaps charge fee to cover the insurance and medical requirements?

scandal42
    Free Member

I don’t think people would be upset about paying a few quid more in order to keep the event possible.

MoreCashThanDash

We’d happily pay more, sure had a lot of fun for my £1 entry, as did my lad.

somouk
    Free Member

somouk,

I saw at least 1 ambulance driver trying to set KOM’s

One person trying to set a KOM does not make an event shut down, most trail centers would have shut years ago if that was the case.

andermt
    Free Member

It is a shame they have stopped it as I wanted to go along to some with the family, forgot it was on the other night. It does sound like they need to split it up somehow if they run any more.

I remember taking part in a similar event at Silverstone when they opened up the new GP circuit (it helped show just how un-flat silverstone is. 😀

There was one incident I saw on that evening and it was down to someone finding out how slippery painted race circuit kerbs really are!

eskay

They run a similar event at Castle Combe Tuesday evenings and everybody seems to coexist quite happily.

Slow riders stick to the right hand side, medium paced stick to the middle and fast riders stay on the inside. There is usually one or two groups of 20+ riders bombing around the inside plus kids pottering on the outside.

poah
    Free Member

sounds like they don’t want to stump up for medical provisions, couldn’t see any mention of strava on the notice.

julians
    Free Member

Evening motor sport trackdays have been going on at donnington for years, in the summer months,ive been on a few myself.

Not sure how strava is to blame for this one? Just looks like the event became non viable from a cost perspective

StuF

That’s a real shame. I had a great night on Tuesday – it was wonderful to see all the different abilities of people co-existing on the track. I had been hoping to bring my family back next week. 🙁

I didn’t witness any problems. There were some very fast people and some not so fast.

You did have to be wary of approaching people at speed and if you glanced down you could suddenly catch people up which I could see would cause problems for inexperienced riders.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

How busy does the circuit get with these cycling events?!

I’ve done a few at Silverstone that had a good turn out but I can’t imagine how many cyclists there would need to be on a motor racing circuit to mean that you’d be almost piling into the back of others if you glanced away, inexperienced or otherwise.

parkesie
    Free Member

Event organiser has got kom and dosnt want anyone beating it.

andy8442
    Free Member

Nobody mentioned the Endomondo crowd. Those guys! Always trying to go the extra mile.

jota180
    Free Member

I’ve no idea how often they have cycling at Donnington but there is an awful lot of Strava times recorded

E.g.
    http://app.strava.com/segments/4786862

Hopefully these sort of times weren’t done when families were out on the track

discoduck
    Free Member

I doubt the medical facilities aren’t up to scratch ? Baring in mind the injuries picked up in Motorsport you would expect they would be able to sort out a few triangular bandages and a bit of compassion ?

So, is the jury still out or can we open fire on STRAVA “idiots” yet ?

Those eren’t my views entirely but I’m happy to join in, only because I caught a Fully Grown Man wearing cycling specific clothing riding a motorbike along a segment of the Trans Penine Trail recently checking to see if he had KOM on that segment before doing the next one ?

All this technology ? I just don’t get it !

P20

Love the speed on that section. 41mph average, 39mph max…… Erm….

lemonysam
    Free Member

All this technology ? I just don’t get it !

GPS reception is generally poor underneath bridges.

h4muf
    Free Member

I’m 1138th on that list :}

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I doubt the medical facilities aren’t up to scratch ? Baring in mind the injuries picked up in Motorsport you would expect they would be able to sort out a few triangular bandages and a bit of compassion ?

Whilst the facilities will be on site I wouldn’t have thought they would put on the same level of medical coverage for a few people riding round on racers as they would for a proper motorsport event 😆

If they’d had bookings come in for trackdays/testing sessions you can’t blame them for binning the cycling events as they’re there to make as much money as possible.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Family riding at Malory park every Monday. MAMILs on a Wednesday night.

stu170
    Free Member

I know most race weekends in the evening the track will be open. Freddy pett who has the 2nd quickest strava time races in the triumph triple series, guess he snuck his bike on the track one evening, many bike/car racers cycle the tracks

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Cycle Donington events cancelled due to 'Strava idiots'’ is closed to new replies.