Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • cycle computers
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

It seems my daughter now wants some sort of measurement of her speed, distance and possibly cadence to help her training.
    What’s good for reasonable outlay??

atlaz
    Free Member

Garmin Edge 500 should be possible to pick up for a good price now the 510 is on the market. It’s more than she’ll need now but she can do strava or garmin connect with it too and it’s good enough for pro teams so should last until the unit breaks. You could also get the 510 for a live updating map of where she is if you’re a concerned parent.

For a normal, non-GPS one, the cateye wireless ones get consistently good reviews.

chriswilk
    Free Member

definately mean the non-gps units.
    The Edge 500 is £150 without cadence, that’s ~100 more than I want to spend

craigxxl
    Free Member

Cateye Strada and they do a cadence version too

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for cateye strada if you really just want the basic speed/cadence.

But IMO there’s more value in a GPS based system with cadence and a HRM that can upload to a PC. Edge 500 is ~£180, but there are bryton and other brands doing similar for less. A half decent HRM is £30-£40, add that to the cateye and you’re at £100, and there’s still no way of logging the data (beyond manualy writing down the averages in a book). You could always buy an edge 500 head unit and get the sensors for birthday presents, exam rewards etc.

hooli

Cateye strada on my road bike. I use it for current speed, time and distance. It does it very well and without drama.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Or ask me nicely – I’ve an old Cateye with cadence sensor that she can try – might need a couple of new batteries.

chriswilk
    Free Member

breatheeasy – Pleaseeeeeee 🙂

my email is ciwilkinson – at – yahoo – dot – co – dot -uk.

atlaz
    Free Member

I guess you need to ask about training requirements for her. If it’s just she wants to maintain specific cadences/speeds over certain intervals a strada or the ilk will be fine. If she wants to record it for posterity, it’s going to be more expensive

chriswilk
    Free Member

just starting out on the serious training (she’s 14 today).
    First off it’s really just for measuring time and distance when on the rollers, the standard 10 mile run. Cadence would also be nice as she tends to go from spinning frantically to grinding, would be nice to smooth that out a bit.
    Thinking about it, do the GPS type systems rely on GPS for distance meausre, or do they have a wheel sensor also? Clearly she’s not going to register GPS movement when on the rollers…

atlaz
    Free Member

Garmin’s is a cadence and speed sensor so you can be on rollers or a turbo and get a speed readout. If you don’t have the sensor then yes, it’s GPS and you’re not moving.

chriswilk
    Free Member

just seen Decathlon do an ANT+ compatible one for £50 that has cadence and the option for HRM also. Anyone use this one??

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘cycle computers’ is closed to new replies.