Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Cycle commuters – are drivers more stupid on the way in to wor, or the way home?
  • el_creedo
    Free Member

Not meaning this to be a horror stories/anger venting thread, just want to know what people think:

Do you encounter more people driving dangerously/nearly killing you on the way in to work, or the way home?

For me, I think it's worst on the way home.

druidh
    Free Member

I ride in when the roads are at their busiest, home when they are much quieter. Although I see a lot more bad cycling than bad driving, I reckon there are more issues when it is busy.

sweepy
    Free Member

I work on the basis that on the way to work im effectively on their time, on the way home im on mine. Im probably more relaxed about getting there on the way in.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    redx

Generally when I ride into work the roads are fairly quiet, and then busy on the way home.

Overall I would say they are more stupid on the way home, but this is probably due to the increased number of vehicles on the road.

In the morning the biggest problems tend to be delivery drivers at speed in built up areas and cars with windscreens not properly cleared.

In the evenings it tends to be the usual with cars going all over the place, diving down side roads, pulling out in front of you, racing to lights etc….

All of it compounded by the fact people seem to think they can park their cars anywhere these days and get away with it, even on double yellows…..

BlobOnAStick

Friday on the way home during the summer.

Worst time of all – I even thought about not riding on a Friday evening because of the race for the weekend.

Ben

thomthumb
    Free Member

way home is worst ime. i think it's the rush to get home and the perceived delay of being sat behind a cyclist. No one is in as much of a rush to get into work.

although this does change if i'm 20 minutes drive out of the city at 8:45!

definatley feel that the worst driving is exhibited 8:30-9 and 5-5:30. ie those in a huge rush to get in and out.

el_creedo
    Free Member

+1 on the moron delivery drivers drastically exceeding the speed limits early in the morning…Royal Mail included (alot).

ChrisL

I think I see more of it in the evening, though I suspect that's partly to do with my route. For example, what's a left turn when I ride to work becomes a right turn on the way home and many drivers coming out of the side road don't seem to notice I'm turning into it until the last moment so nearly drive into me.

In addition at the moment I ride to work in daylight, more or less, and ride home in darkness so that'll affect things too.

kimbers

way home, only because people are more keen to get home than get to work

also on the way in is gridlock wheras less busy on the way back so people can pull off more dodgy manouvers

crazy-legs

Drivers heading in in the morning seem to be worse – not because of their driving per se but because the cars are fogged/iced up and they've scraped a small hole in the windscreen in front of them, the rest of the windows may as well not be there.

D0NK

About the same dangerousity but different sorts,
    Idiocy in the morning probably still half asleep not looking or as mentioned not cleared the ice from windows.
    Knobbish behaviour in the afternoon, racing home endangering everyone else to get infront of the next person in line.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I see more issues with drivers in the morning than in the evening, however my route home is almost completely different to my route in, and I see less cars on the latter.

ski
    Free Member

Friday on the way home during the summer

Agree, Friday evenings are the worst

Junkyard
    Free Member

way home as I go flat out rather than bimble

el_creedo
    Free Member

I ride home at lunchtime quite often, and thinking about it – that might be the worst one!
    Just setting off now – wish me luck! lol

ianv
    Free Member

Way more "incidents" in the morning.

coogan
    Free Member

I think some drivers and some cyclists need lessons on driving/cycling on the road. Both as bad as each other IMO.

monkeyp

The worst commute is on the way home on a random nice day after crappy weather – the rules seem to go completely out of the window and it turns into a horrible free-for-all

MrBlond
    Free Member

In my bit of London there's more comedy filtering and avoidance of dozing peds to be done in the morning.

Evening is the time when the cabbies get really homicidal.

Not liking Boris's policy of motorbikes in bus lanes much either.

stealthcat

Two words – School run.

I think there must be some fairly posh schools near my commute; loads of big cars carrying one small child in the back.

Though it's actually the pedestrian school run that's the most dangerous for me – I don't think any of the local schools teach the kids or their parents road safety…

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Maybe coogan, but a driver is in a one tonne or heavier metal box at 30+ mph… A cyclist is not.

coogan
    Free Member

Maybe coogan, but a driver is in a one tonne or heavier metal box at 30+ mph… A cyclist is not.

I know, but some of the cyclists I see I'm amazed they even make it to work let alone home. I ride and drive in Edinburgh and from both stand points see some crazy driving/riding. Don't think it's all down to just drivers.

Bregante

I travel into work at 5.30 hrs which I love but my commute home often coincides with school chucking out time. lazy arsed parents abandoning /double parking in the school "car free zones" and flinging their 4×4 doors open without checking that "the stupid cyclist" isn't actually cycling on a public road, then looking surpirsed when I give them the finger as I desparately swerve to avoid flying headlong through the air! AAaaaaaaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!!!!

thanks for listening………. same time next week Dr? 😳

rootes1

way home

senorj

I find the mornings generally the worst
    – steamed up windows ,driver still asleep etc.
    However in North London at least ,Friday afternoon/evenings require an extra level of concentration.

druidh
    Free Member

coogan – Member

I know, but some of the cyclists I see I'm amazed they even make it to work let alone home. I ride and drive in Edinburgh and from both stand points see some crazy driving/riding. Don't think it's all down to just drivers.

I agree. On an average day, I probably see 4/5 instances of inconsiderate or just plain bad driving. I'll see mibbe 10-15 instances of frankly dangerous cycling.

DezB
    Free Member

I agree with what seems to be the general concensus of this thread. It makes no difference.

el_creedo
    Free Member

well, I made it back, actually so far today have experienced zero near-death manouvres! pleasing!
    Now then children, like I said – not to descend into the old cyclists vs cars debate.
    Just a straight, Morning or Evening, and the reason why please!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Cycle commuters – are drivers more stupid on the way in to wor, or the way home?’ is closed to new replies.