Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • cycle commuters
  • mrmo
    Free Member

So who bottled it and who has ridden in?

18miles, of snow and wet. what joy.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I didn’t bottle it I am just not going in today. 😀

allthepies
    Free Member

Ridden in, only 4 miles and wasn’t snowing at 07:10. Different story going home though I think 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

i bottled it wednesday/thrusday and friday this week

went over a car bonnet on tuesday 🙁

lesson learnt – go in the ambulance.

drlex
    Free Member

Zummerset represent!
    ‘boarding goggles were a boon, but a mere 6 mile journey.
    Amazement of colleagues would have a spectator believe I had come from the moon…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

u OK trailrat?

What happened?

cupra
    Free Member

Bone dry, slight headwind and a bit chilly, if the wind gets up I’ll get a cracking tailwind home 🙂

ton

6 mile of canal/riverside pootling…….was awesome. 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

the old delayed stiff neck and heavy delayed bruising across the backs of my shoulders.

its easing off now though.

adrenaline is amaizing stuff.

how ever ive been worse after mtb offs.

thomthumb
    Free Member

got a km down the road. too treacherous even on ice spikers. turned back. 🙁

jeffl

10 miles of canal/old train track from Chesterfield. Only had one instance of the front wheel sliding out from under me. May be more interesting this afternoon.

fasthaggis

Not in today. Quality shed time. Huzzah 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Brompton, couple of miles either end of the train journey. No snow on the way in, going back later will be somewhat different

TPTcruiser

Scheduled car day today. Daughter had an exam which needed a guaranteed arrival at, picked up colleague so have diluted the guilt of not riding slightly.
    4/5 by bike this week, 80 miles or so in the Oath of the Winter Warrior account.

GrahamS

Yep no problem. 11 miles, almost all off-road on hardpack snow and ice.

Schwalbe Winter Marathons FTW. 😀

ojom
    Free Member

After some close shaves this year already I have been only commuting on the dry days.

Nice last night on the way home with pixelmix.

GrahamS

4/5 by bike this week, 80 miles or so in the Oath of the Winter Warrior account.

Good work Warrior!

Could only do 3/5 this week (missus on call) so I’ll have logged ~66 miles.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Walked in, does that count?

edsbike
    Free Member

10 miles on mostly clear roads, just a bit wet with ice at the sides. Snow has started here now though, can’t see out the office windows, are 23mm tyres good for snow riding?

Please say yes….
    🙁

crazy-legs

Rode yesterday, the towpath/off-road-cyclepath route in on the CX. Was lovely, frozen solid and bone dry.
    Annoyingly, on the way home last night, bits of the cyclepath had thawed to the point where there was a 2mm thick layer of very cold mud which got sprayed everywhere. 🙁

I was running late this morning, got the train in. Hoping for a bit more snow, it’s at that annoying point of enough to make it wet and cold, not enough to stick around for long.

motivforz
    Free Member

Best commute ever! Oxfordshire mud frozen solid for a change. You can call me SS icebreaker after the frozen puddles I ploughed through 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve ridden in…like as if a bit of snow would ever stop me!! 😆
    its just started to snow again…..and now i’m wondering if it was wise to leave the semi-slicks on the bike….should be an interesting ride home… 😯

TiRed

12 miles on my fixed road bike. Took five miles before I could feel my fingers, then fine. Struggled to keep the average speed over 14 mph, but there was a headwind (and snow).

That clothing in full:
    Sidi winter road boots
    Sealskinz thin socks
    Pearl Izumi Elite thermal and windproof biblongs
    Icebreaker merino 200 baselayer
    Pearl Izumi long sleeved fleece jersey
    Club windshell – comments on the other thread please 😉
    Polaris Cranium skullcap
    Btwin neoprene winter gloves

And yes, 23 mm tyres are fine for snow, just make sure you ride fixed to feel the traction.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

5 miles through Brizzle – snowy lushness!

nedrapier

Rode in today, first day this week. Niggly neck kept me off the bike.

The cold wind hurt my face, but not as much as the Northern Line hurt my soul.

GrahamS

That clothing in full:

Pffft.. I had a short sleeve top on.

(Local by-law makes it illegal to wear a jacket within Newcastle city limits)

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Ridden in, only 4 miles and wasn’t snowing at 07:10. Different story going home though I think

+1 and quite looking forward to it………..going home, that is.

officialtob
    Free Member

10 miles commute in the ‘Red zone’ in South Wales. Didnt even have any spikes, just very soft knobblies – loved every second 😀 😀

The thought of NOT having to rely on public transport later on brings me a little bit of warmth and happiness.

nedrapier

The thought of NOT having to rely on public transport later on brings me a little bit of warmth and happiness.

Yup! Nice feeling, isn’t it?

I’m thinking I might regret not replacing my slicks with the race kings this morning…

andrewh
    Free Member

Only 8 miles but I’ll be going home the long way.
    Usually ride the winter road bike but the SS has been drafted in as a commuter this week, a set of worn Racing Ralphs coping surprisingly well.
    Total so far this year: 790 miles ridden, 58 miles driven. Not a bad ratio. (not all commuting! There’s 5 road rides over 100m in that)

GrahamS

Already been told I’m “mad” by several people who will probably spend most of tonight stuck in their cars while I’m at home in front of the fire with a smug smile on my face 😀

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Seems that the worse the weather gets the worse the road manners of drivers get – lots of fist waving/horn blaring/ stupid pulling out maneuvers, this morning. The fist waving/horn blaring was at each other not at me, btw.

soma_rich
    Free Member

bottled it and got the ferry, wish I road now 🙁

davidjey
    Free Member

8 mile commute down the Taff Trail/thro Cardiff, including cheeky singletrack in Bute park 😀

Alas I managed to rip my helmet-mounted joystick clean off on a particularly low snow-bound branch! And then couldn’t find where the flipping thing had landed! No great loss as it was about 7 years old – someone will find it in the thaw and think themselves lucky, until they find out the battery only lasts about 20 minutes these days…

scruff
    Free Member

Put a CX tyre on the front, roads were deserted. 😀

andrewh
    Free Member

Seems that the worse the weather gets the worse the road manners of drivers get

I find the good and bad get more polarised, the good give a lot more space in the rubbish weather, the bad drive around peering out of a letter-box size hole in the snow ont he windscreen, big lumps of sbow flying off the roof at me as they go.

billytinkle
    Free Member

11 miles each way, but was clear as you like on the way in. Starting to lay now, will see how it goes.

Got a spiked slick for the front and a balloon slick for the rear. Have copius amounts of zip ties to make effective snow chains if it gets deep.

soundninjauk

Normal 6 miles from West London to Soho for me today, but I swapped the road/commuter bike for the P7. It felt like overkill on the way in, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed for some snow related fun on the way home.

GrahamS

the bad drive around peering out of a letter-box size hole in the snow ont he windscreen, big lumps of snow flying off the roof at me as they go.

Ooooh don’t get me started. Saw someone doing that the other day. All windows covered, peering through a windscreen that had been cleared by wipers, but was obviously still frosty. They hadn’t even cleared their headlights which were two faintly glowing snow cones.

officialtob
    Free Member

8 mile commute down the Taff Trail/thro Cardiff, including cheeky singletrack in Bute park

We must follow a very similar route. Got knocked by many a branch too, luckily the lumenator was on the bars today!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘cycle commuters’ is closed to new replies.