Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cycle clubs/races for children in Surrey
  • alpinegirl
    Free Member

Hello

My 10 (? I think) year old cousin announced to me recently that he wants to buy a roadbike so he can do some racing because there are no mtb events for children where he lives (Chiddingfold, Surrey). Does anyone know of any offroad bike race-type things in this area?

Maybe he will get a roadbike – speed seems to be his thing – so in that case, does anyone know of any children friendly clubs in the area? I need to help encourage him!

Thanks!

Coleman
    Free Member

Have you tried the British Cycling website and use the club finder search for your area.

njee20
    Free Member

Very very hard to come by it would seem, in part because of the red tape surrounding working with kids!

There are a number of clubs that have kids in them, but not specifically kids clubs.

There aren't that many road events near Chiddingfold that would be suitable for a 10 year old to be honest! They can't compete on open roads, and there's not really any road racing over winter. There's an MTB Enduro in Bordon in November, or there's the Gorrick MTB races over winter he could do.

sputnik
    Free Member

Hallo Alpine Girl
    Sutton Cycling Club is a great youth club. They do MTB, road and cyclo cross. They have coaches to help develop skills and stamina. My son is a member and loves going there. He has taken part in the Southern XC series for under 10's this year, but the last race was on Sunday. You can find more out on the Sutton club's website. The London Cyclo Cross League is starting next Sunday and my son will be taking part on his mountain bike. It will be about 10 minute races every Sunday at different locations in Surrey. This should get him in shape for next year's XC races. Gorrick and Southern XC will be your two to watch for MTB races, and he will be in the U/12. If you need more info you can mail me hannodreyerAThotmail.com

joemarshall
    Free Member

Cyclocross races near us (in the Midlands) have kids categories, and you can enter them on a mountain bike. I'm guessing the same is true of Surrey races. Plus it is just the start of the cyclocross season, and they are dirt cheap to enter, £1 or something for kids (I don't think kids need licences do they?). There are probably some races near you.

Look here for some in the South East, maybe they are near enough?

Our local road bike club has kids in, I think that's pretty normal of big clubs but maybe not. Most of them their parents ride, but I don't think they always turn up with them or anything.

Joe

njee20
    Free Member

Palmer Park Velo are based in Reading I think, or Team Darenth in Kent.

oldgit
    Free Member

10 is very young. It's a tough one as I don't know of any facilities down there. I'm sure you'd have more luck with MTB.
    My lad did some road racing when he was 12 all I can say was that it was taken very very seriously, just seeing kids warming up on rollers whilst they waited to race on their Super Record equiped handbuilt Condors was tough for my lad on his £500 Giant which was the worst bike there and he knew it.
    With a mountainbike you can at least look at cx as well xc and both of those are far friendlier.

alpinegirl
    Free Member

Great, thanks for all the answers! I shall do a bit more research and pass the information on. I'm trying to convince my uncle that my cousin should come out here for a biking holiday but he doesn't seem too keen…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cycle clubs/races for children in Surrey’ is closed to new replies.