Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • CYB or Penmacho for NYD?
  • cubicboy
    Free Member

I have an unexpected pass out on New Years Day (as we have a very young family). It’s going to be quite a trek from Nottingham and I want to make sure that it’s worth going before I make plans.
    So… what are the conditions like? I ride in all weathers and prefer fast XC if possible. I’ve done The Beast of Brenin a couple of times and that is well within my fitness / capability / pace etc. Is Penmacho comparable? Are the trails unrideable?

Ta!

funkrodent

Penmachno is more natural than CyB. There’s only one trail, a 20km red loop, with an additional red side loop of another 10k or so. It’s primarily singletrack (with fireroad climbs) and is best described as being simultaneously rocky and flowy. Given that the nature of the terrain (and the trail’s conatruction) means that it retails water, it is bound to be wet, especially on the top section before you start the series of fairly dizzying descents back to the carpark.

In effect CyB are at two ends of the spectrum. One is a massive trail centre with all the facilities, the other is a carpark with an honesty box and one trail.

IMHO Penmachno is one of the best trails that I have ridden. It is technically challenging, rocky and fast, with a series of descents at the end that are as good as I have seen. If you can handle your feet getting soaked you’ll be fine as the water is all primarily on rock, so whilst it is certainly wet in places, it is very rarely muddy and gloopy, and you’ll still fly along. That said I wouldn’t bother with the additional loop as it is very pedally and extremely wet in places.

Hope that helps!

carlos
    Free Member

Bear in mind that a couple of sections at Penmachno are still closed off due to felling work and apparently will remain so until Feb

Personally based on bits of Penmachno being closed and that’s my favourite TC, I’d opt for CYB. You could always do The Beast and a half?

andymc06
    Free Member

CYB over Penmachno every time for me.

cubicboy
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. Any idea if the trails are really icy?

SOAP
    Free Member

Rode the beast yesterday and it was fantastic.
    Went to llandegla today but couldn’t be arsed with the snow, I’m guessing there will be snow at Penmachno.

saxabar
    Free Member

Hmm, not sure about snow at Pen’ as I reckon most will have melted. As mentioned, one of the best sections of trail is blocked-off so that might influence your decision. Love Penmachno, but I’d probably go for CyB.

chrisdw
    Free Member

No snow at penmachno

binners

I love Penmachno. But I did it a couple of years ago at the beginning of January. Never again. The snow was melting and the trails were just streams of ice cold water. I have never ever been as cold and wet on a bike in my life. It was miserable!

Go to CYB instead, would be my advice

revmatt
    Free Member

Pen macho, best trail I rode in 2014. More ‘adventury’ than CYB. Start the year with an epic!

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I did Penmachno yesterday. There was a bit of snow but nothing to worry about. A couple of icy spots on the fire roads but only a couple of short sections. Today has been quite warm but rainy so I recon most of the snow and ice will have gone. Loop 2 was VERY wet but all rideable. I just find it a bit dull (flat/undulating pedally singletrack) apart from the final decentsecents which are ace. Loads of people seem to love the place though so ignore my opinions and try for yourself as you may love it!

tymbian
    Free Member

Penmachno is one of my favorites…I’ve only ridden it in July & August though..if twas me, waterproof and Penmachno..

chrisdw
    Free Member

There was a guy there today wearing a scrum hat instead of a helmet.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘CYB or Penmacho for NYD?’ is closed to new replies.