Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • CYB Enduro this weekend, who's in?
  • carlos
    Free Member

Doing this again this year, fourth one I think.

Yeah the mass start thing, everyone trying to get to the front of the start and then walking up the first tech bit, people racing past in the first 2 miles who then blow at Mike 4 and the odd idiot who wants to pass you on the narrow stuff coz they’re so Knarrrrr, do get on my boobies, BUT we go there for the natural riding on the Sat (Caddir Idris this year) the beer, camping, too much food, banter and general good laugh with friends and to enjoy the riding on the Sunday.

Not sure if they’ve changed the start again this year, which helped a bit with last years bottlenecks. The ending was better than a 5mile+ slog round the the woods on the other side of the road, which again was better than previous years, but I guess I’ll find out on Sunday

Who else is riding it this weekend then?..

teenrat

I normally ride this event, but am not this year. I thought about it a couple of days ago but have begun to find it hard to justify the £30 entry fee when I compare it to what I get for my money at the Dyfi enduro.

Have a great ride though!

swanny853

My fifth, don’t feel like I’ve properly made it to Autumn without doing it these days. Driving up from SE, so usually make a long weekend of it but unfortunately this year holiday doesn’t line up- we’re heading up tonight, two days riding then turn around and come home!

I did like finishing at the centre last year, and the routing through the centre a bit more is definitely more family friendly, but I do miss a few of the bits that made it feel a bit more of a push on previous years (like that big grassy climb- don’t get rid of it, make a thing of it!). Previous years have always felt a bit ‘better take a proper waterproof and a camelbak’, last year a bit more like a bottle and a pacamac would have been fine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

still wake up in a cold sweat about having my freehub fail with 10 miles still to go and pushing my ~35lb Alpine 160 to the finish.

Still, I got a T-shirt as a sympathy spot-prize…

rhid

I’m riding it. I really don’t like it very much and every year I say I will skip next years event. Then I go and enter it about 3 weeks to the event.

Still its local and hopefully sunny so whatever.

swanny853

It was the first year we got sent across the road at the end gets me- I was under the impression (not sure where from) that it was a small loop, maybe 5 miles max. As a result I went charging up the ‘last’ major climb, only to find that the course kept going and I was spannered shortly afterwards. That was one very tired and ever-so-slightly grumpy mountain biker

gelert
    Free Member

Did it last year. Didn’t really enjoy it that much mostly due to the shockingly poor level of skill exhibited by the riders in front of us constantly stopping at every single little bump and rock on the route and causing everyone else behind to bunch up and have to stop.

If you can’t already ride Coed y Brenin’s fantastic trails please don’t enter this event.

I really enjoyed the scenery as I always do and I guess that’s what it’s about.

CyB is pretty local to me so I went there last weekend and made my own “best bits” route and had no hold ups at all – lush. It was glorious weather too. I had a great time.

If you’re going this time have fun. If you don’t want to get stopped all the time I’d recommend pushing as far to the front at the start as you can and gunning it up the first climb. Don’t hover at the back if you want any flow during the downhill sections.

I may have the “wrong” mentality for mass start events 🙂

CaptainCrash
    Free Member

I know just what you mean ‘gelert’, me too 🙂

beicmynydd
    Free Member

I agree with gelert, not worth £30 to be sitting in a big line of riders waiting to go down the MBR.
    Goes through some nice areas though

carlos
    Free Member

Well after riding Caddir Idris yesterday and eating/drinking a bit too much Sat night, today’s ride round the Enduro was actually top quality.

Perfect weather, no real bunching like previous year (maybe less riders),another twist to the loop and some great views.

currently sat chilling with a few beers and heavy legs

teenrat

Were the total number of entries reduced or was it not as well attended?

carlos
    Free Member

@ teenrat – Dunno, just seemed less riders than previous years. Rider No plates went up to 575 at least, so really don’t know. Might just have got lucky with start

rhid

It did seem much quieter than previous years. The weather made it more enjoyable but for whatever reason I find the cyb enduro really tough! Much tougher than the dyfi, the ard rock and in many ways the keilder 101 (but only done that once). It was well run and the enthusiasm of the organisers makes it difficult not to enjoy a bit. I’m saying this now sat down drinking coffee. I wasn’t saying this yesterday going up yet another climb!!

gelert
    Free Member

I don’t think it sold out this year. Last year sold out within hours. This year they announced they sold out then found out that 2/3 of the entries hadn’t gone through – some kind of glitch.

Glad it was nice weather and there weren’t so many queues this time.

Couple of my friends reported they had a good time this year and enjoyed it.

swanny853

I enjoyed it- it was a shame the far loop to the south east was missing, but that’s logging I suppose. I attempted the ‘sprint from the start to get clear of the pack’ and then got a puncture about 6 miles in, so spent the whole of the Tarw side loop working my way back past people. Admiration for the gent on the rocky mountain who had two punctures and still finished ahead of me!

Thanks to everyone who organised it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘CYB Enduro this weekend, who's in?’ is closed to new replies.