Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • CX/Road Wheels – alternative to Mavic Open Sport on 105 hubs?
  • ElShalimo

Merlin have been selling Mavic Open Sport on 105 hubs at £125 for months, except that they’ve been out of stock for 2 months at least and they don’t know when they’ll be restocked. Oh dear – I was going to buy some for my Spesh TriCross as they seemed ideal for me and cheap too.

Can anyone recommend a similar quality, robust wheelset at roughly the same price?
    They’re for carrying my 15st lardy arse around easyish bridleways and crap West Yorks roads in winter plus occasional short tours in summer.
    Thanks

Jase
    Free Member

Mavic Aksium’s?

My 12yo daughter has been using them on her cx bike for racing for the past few years and they still run really smooth, although admittedly she’s nowhere near 15st 🙂

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Maybe the Fulcrum Racing 7 LG – you get the benefit of a slightly wider rim. I’ve got the Campagnolo equivalent and they handle my weight no problem.

Bez

Rose have Open Pros on 105 hubs for £132 with free shipping at the moment. 36h, so ideal for the more gravitationally attractive gentleman.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bike-components/wheels/road-bike/road-bike/

Also a few different Xtreme rims on 105 for under £100, if sir prefers a cheaper option.

13thfloormonk

If you like easy maintenance I would strongly suggest the new style Ultegra hubs, they have the ‘digital click’ cup and cone adjustment which allows you to dismantle/clean/adjust the hubs with just two 5mm allen keys and none of the trial-and-error faff with cone spanners.

Definitely worthwhile if you’re considering the wheels for the long term.

jono84
    Free Member

ive just bought some mavic askiums from bike discount . De i got the ‘2016’ versions as there wider, so far im well happy with them and they seem plenty sturdy enough think I paid similar money for them

jono84
    Free Member

oh mine are non disc versions but they do disc ones too

ElShalimo

Forgot to say running 8spd Shimano & cantis
    Thanks for the suggestions

jimdubleyou

I have the disk Aksiums. They have been fine for my ample frame…

ElShalimo

Thread resurrection: I never got round to buying some wheels. Has anyone spotted any good deals in the sales?

scud
    Free Member

These new Wiggle seem good:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-23mm-alloy-clincher-disc-brake-road-wheelset/

Or Hope hubs with Grail rims.

New company, Hunt, are doing some great wheels too.

vincienup
    Free Member

Shimano rx05’s (disc only) around £95 at Ribble…

Bez

Would you be interested in a pair of Open Sports on a 32h XT dynamo front and a 36h 105 5700 rear? (Can supply dyno lights as well if you like.)

ElShalimo

@Bez – thanks but I’d prefer new

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘CX/Road Wheels – alternative to Mavic Open Sport on 105 hubs?’ is closed to new replies.