Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • CX/Gravel/Road gearing help!
  • letmetalktomark

I’m currently in the process of having a frame modified to run gears.

It’s current set up is a drop bar SS cross bike. My plan was to buy a 10 speed bar end shifter and use my XT rear mech and 11-36 cassette but I read tonight that a Shimano 10 speed bar end shifter will not play nicely with a 10 speed mtb rear mech.

Soooooo do I go for a 10 speed road rear mech but then will that play nicely with with a 11-36 cassette?

Or do I go for Shimano brifters but then have to change my brakes (BB7 MTN)???

I have a SRAM 9 speed XO set up – would that work with a SRAM 9 speed bar end shifter or would I have the same problem with the 10 speed Shimano bar end shifter compatibility?

This was meant to be a low cost project!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Not sure about bar end shifters but I gleaned from here a few years back that a Shimano road STI 10spd will need a Shimano 9spd rear mech if you’re looking at a (relatively) wide range cassette.
    My Tripster is currently running pretty sweetly with the following:

– Shimano Ultegra 6700 10spd shifters
    – Shimano XT 10spd 11 or 12(?)-36T cassette
    – Shimano XT 9spd rear mech
    – Acor / Juin Tech semi-hydro discs

Using the down tube barrel adjusters lets you tune the gears, as an inline adjuster. Hope that helps a bit? I’m on the cusp of going 11spd and want to run a similar range cassette so might need to do a bit of digging around for hacks for that…

BTW – if you’re looking at road cable discs, I’d highly recommend TRP Spyres.

letmetalktomark

Hmm.

So I have a ten speed cassette, if I got a 9 speed rear mech this might work with a ten speed bar end shifter or ten speed brifter.

I’d like to retain the clutch element of my ten speed rear mech though

RustySpanner

Nine speed mech, 10 speed bar end shifters work fine for me.

Microshift do a 10 speed bar end shifter that indexes with Shimano 10 speed MTB cassettes.
    The importer reckons you can order one from any Microshift dealer now.
    linky

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Should be fine – and to be honest on the gravel sections I’ve ridden I’ve never really noticed much in the way of chain slap or dropped the chain.

crazy-legs

9 speed XTR rear mech running off a 10 speed Ultegra STI for me, works fine.

Shimano cable pull ratios are a funny thing, the same trick doesn’t work for 11 & 10 set ups or for 10 speed road shifter pulling a 10 speed MTB mech.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Or the Lindarets thingy from 18 Bikes? Remember reading about it on here and just had a quick look – 10 and 11spd road by the looks of it.

letmetalktomark

@Rusty – those BS-M10s look to be bob on …….. Just got to find somewhere to buy them from!

RustySpanner

Good luck!

I tried last year but was told they’d all been specced on new bikes and non were for sale to the public.

I’ve recently read that they are now available to order.
    Bit late for me now as I’ve got some Shimano shifters, which work an absolute treat.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘CX/Gravel/Road gearing help!’ is closed to new replies.