Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • CX/Gravel/Adventure bike bargains…
  • righog
    Free Member

This looks Canny as the Queen might say…..

Evans Caadx

not bad for £640

Anything else around maybe something a little more upright

Mackem

Couldnt you just stick a shorter stem on?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

depends how CX you want it.

CX geo is shorter, steeper, higher BB and thus more twitchy on faster stuff than the ‘gravel’ geometries coming out now.

jonnyboi

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s194p6881/GIANT-REVOLT-1-2016

A bit more expensive but you get 10 speed tiagra and trp spyre brakes, plus a big range on the cassette.

midlifecrashes

Have a look at Mangobikes Point AR and Raleigh Mustangs.

jonnyboi

depends how CX you want it.

CX geo is shorter, steeper, higher BB and thus more twitchy on faster stuff than the ‘gravel’ geometries coming out now.

some of the differences are miniscule though, not convinced that a lot of what is written about gravel bikes isn’t marketing BS to create N+1

Yes it will be more stable on rough descents etc. but how more stable? 0.5%, 8%, 72%

I still need a dedicated gravel bike though, obvs 😉

righog
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, Giant and Mango’s look good (mango’s all sold out until Feb)

A mate of mine has gone all CX ( he was falling off a breaking himself quite a lot on the MTB ) and I was thinking of keeping him company, I have been off the road bike for a few years as my back does not get on with it anymore.

I am working with an Italian atm, and he is arranging some true gravel rides across Italy ( multi day 800 km ) so I have become Gravel curious.

STATO
    Free Member

some of the differences are miniscule though, not convinced that a lot of what is written about gravel bikes isn’t marketing BS to create N+1

Yes it will be more stable on rough descents etc. but how more stable? 0.5%, 8%, 72%

The BB height makes quite a big difference, and over a day (remember its not gravel unless its in km 😉 ) a more relaxed bike is less tiring. How much, probably minimal, just like difference between £40 tyres and £60 tyres or £500 suspension and £800 suspension everyone buys.

jonnyboi

The BB height makes quite a big difference, and over a day (remember its not gravel unless its in km ) a more relaxed bike is less tiring. How much, probably minimal, just like difference between £40 tyres and £60 tyres or £500 suspension and £800 suspension everyone buys.

Difference between my CX & a salsa warbird is 5mm on the BB & 1 deg on the HA, Prob makes a difference at some level but as the CX coped with the DR200 pretty well I decided to get some flared drops instead of a entire new bike for next year.

STATO
    Free Member

Just checked that Caad and its 68mm drop in larger sizes, pretty low for CX. As you say a warbird is 70mm. A PX XLS is 60mm which used to be more common, I suppose most CX bikes have been tamed down to make them more all rounders now anyway.

jonnyboi

I suppose most CX bikes have been tamed down to make them more all rounders now anyway

I think it’s a lot of that, HA might be slightly slacker, maybe longer chainstays and a shorter top tube, but again there are limits as to what can be done and most modern CX frames weren’t exactly skittish beasts in the first place.

Personally I would look for a more relaxed ride position, bigger tyre clearance, wider range gearing, maybe even gravel orientated contact points as my priorities on a gravel bike.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

it depends on what types of trail you are planning to tackle.

For me, CXers are way too skittish on the trails I take on. 32mm tyres/high BBs/steepish head angles just don’t work at all. For that reason I’ve gone right to the other end of the spectrum and run a rigid, carbon 29er instead. As light as a decent CXer (9kg) but much more stable on rougher ground.

But if you are just bezzing round fields and smooth stuff then the CXer will be fine.

What are you planning to ride?

frankconway

Drakes cycles in leeds have CaadX with either 105 or ultegra groupset with chunky discount.
    The ultegra has shimano hydraulic discs.
    Go to their website, select ‘offers’ then ‘bikes’.

boxelder

Calibre Dark Peak from Go Outdoors 😈
    Tiagra, carbon fork, WTB wheels and tyres, Ritchey etc
    £699

You said bargain.

Kryton57

Charge plug 3 on wiggle for £598

righog
    Free Member

OK New bike ( to me anyway ) went for a second hand croix de fer

not picked it up yet but looking forward to some Gravel action 🙂

Thanks for all the advice

I was so close to getting that plug Kryton, it was sitting in my basket for a few days..great value but I picked up the CDF for a bit less and I am happy with Steel

righog
    Free Member

Any suggestions on some reasonably aggressive offroad cx tyres ? Goy quite a few tough is slicks for the road bike I could try but nothing with any sort of tread.

johnnystorm

WTB Nanos are good, I used vittoria cx tyres at mayhem one year. Utter sod to get on Crests though.

righog
    Free Member

…..and here it is, Gravel on a budget. The Dirty Reiver 130 looks very tempting.

boxelder

Tyres? – go for bigger volume. Aggressive CX treads won’t stay aggressive for long unless only riding on grassy/muddy stuff. Nano’s, Vee tyres, Panaracer cross blasters?

mechanicaldope

Some absolute bargains if you happen to be tiny. Saw some Croix de Fer 20s for £799 the other day. Being normal I had to pay a still fairly reasonable £960.

mechanicaldope

Also considered that Caadx in the original OP but was put off by how it looked. Could you fit any more stickers on a bike?

Kryton57

Still gazing myself.

Anyone got anything to sat about an Arkrose SS or SSCX in general? Not sure a 2015 is worth £600 even on sale!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘CX/Gravel/Adventure bike bargains…’ is closed to new replies.