Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • CX / XC Riding near Wakefield/Leeds?
  • cjr61

After a successful STW post that got me on a great CX ride recently whilst in Beverley for work (Thanks Rich_C) I thought I’d try my luck again!

Off up to Leeds this weekend with work and staying just outside Wakefield. Looking for a Saturday early evening ride and wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere good for CX (or light XC as will be on the drop bar beauty!).

I see Newmillerdam country park isn’t too far…any good?

Cheers

Chris

andycs

Try the Wakefield Wheel. 35 miles or so of tracks and tarmac around Wakefield. Easy to follow, goes past Newmillerdam, perfect for CX bike.

cjr61

Thanks Andy sounds good

ernie67

It’s pretty well marked which way to go , but there’s a map available from the visitor center at the Anglers country park on the route …might be worth picking one up just in case .

cjr61

Cool. Think my hotel is near Ossett just off motorway. Can I start from there?

rogermoore

I’m guessing the Holiday inn? Turn left out of the hotel car park, cycle down the hill, under the motorway and the first signs for the Wheel are about 200-300 meters after the bridge on a lampost.
    RM.

ernie67

In that case then try the info center at Pugneys when you get there , they should have a map ( although like i said earlier don’t panic if not , you should be ok ) .

cjr61

Haha yes the glamorous holiday inn!

Thanks for the advice all. Should be a good ride.

Chris

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I grew up in Wakefield and used to ride round Newmillerdam on my first mtb, erm, 29 years ago!

Its probably all changed now (it were all fields when I were a lad), but used to bez around Sandal Castle/Pugneys/Newmillerdam/Seckar Woods/Haw Park. As a 10-year old, “10 acre field” was the descent to prove your manliness.

Note: they don’t take kindly to cycling through the Sculpture Park. Not that I’d do that. Oh no… It is worth going though.

markshires
    Free Member

There all still there, ir_bandito! Never had a problem cycling through the sculpture Park there is a massive bridleway straight through the middle and the rest is a road. They’ve even done some extreme trail building and sculptured some roots out of bronze! Watch them when it’s wet!

ernie67

YAY …10 acre . I belt down there most mornings on my way to work ( not as scary when you’ve grown up though 😉 )

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘CX / XC Riding near Wakefield/Leeds?’ is closed to new replies.