Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • CX with full guards?
  • D0NK

If I ride offroad to work I end up covered head to toe in filth even with crud guards fitted, alright once in a while but if I do this too often and I reckon the cleaners and others will start to complain. I was wondering about trying using full guards. Already got a pompino with guards for the road commute so all I would need is tyres and lower gearing. It’s not cloying sticky mud so tyre clearance shouldn’t be an issue I just need to stop the spray.

Is this a silly idea? Are the guards going to rattle to death or catch in the knobbles and foldup/jam, lock up the front wheel and throw me to my death?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Riding off road with mudguards is seriously uncool!

What are you thinking?

meehaja
    Free Member

works for me… although my rear guard got mangled by some twunk dropping my bike in the rack at work, so for a while i used a pannier rack with some plastic zip tied to the bottom. Worked very nicely!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Only kidding (some struggle to recognise this).

Make sure the guards are as secure as possible.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I rode my sks’ed up commuter down a horse-churned bridleway recently, it was ace how dirty i wasn’t at the end.

cynic-al
    Free Member

poof

nbt

I have full guards on the CX, but then I’m not running knobblies – I’m using Schwalbe marathons. Nominally a 32, they come up more like 28. Great on the road compared to MTB knobblies, fine off road on the stuff I do

julianwilson
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

poof

Aye.

ourmaninthenorth

Once thisisnotaspoon gets round to sending the tyres I paid him for two weeks ago, I’ll be able to try this on my fixie (with a freewheel – I’m not *that* freakish).

I cerainly have no problem riding my winter road bike (full guards, natch) off road, though 100psi in the 24c tyres can make mud somewhat fun (especially if a dunking in the Bridgewater canal is a distinct possibility).

Yes, full guards, cross bike and an off-road commute. Sounds about the right way to remain sane this winter. Or a poof, depending on your preferences.

nbt

Yes, full guards, cross bike and an off-road commute. Sounds about the right way to remain sane this winter.

welcome to the club, braw

molgrips
    Free Member

on my fixie (with a freewheel

How can it be a fixie if it has a freewheel?

D0NK

cheers guys will give it a go

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘CX with full guards?’ is closed to new replies.