• This topic has 10 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by cp.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • CX wheels question
  • scandalous
    Free Member

I am not the world’s smallest chap, 6’2″ and 14,5st and was wondering if 20,8mm rims would be too narrow. Would 23mm be overkill?

If I build the bike I would want to be able to run 32mm tyres for CX runs out but also put on 25mm rubber for long peak road days.

Help please!

scandalous
    Free Member

Oh and 32 or 36h!

cp

Are you talking 20.8 internal? If so, thats more than enough. Dont dismiss 28mm tyres for the peaks, particularly at your size. I run 28mm conti gp 4 season and theyre brilliant on the road surfaces round here. They arent heavy, have amazing grip in the cold and wet, and roll really well.

32hole will be fine unless youre loading up heavy with touring kit through the himalaya.

scandalous
    Free Member

Cheers cp

scandalous
    Free Member

20’8mm internal, just checked

cp

Funnily enough, I was thinking about and looking at new cx disc clincher whee, builds yesterday. 38 or 50mm carbon clincher rim from china or stans iron cross, superstar 25% off switch hubs or similar, and dt rev. Spokes.

scandalous
    Free Member

Are they too narrow in your opinion?

crazybaboon

I’m 6’4 and 98 kg, never killed a wheels whilst racing cx, not done much trail riding on them, that’s what I use my mtb for!
    I’ve used shimano rs10 and 20, Mavic Askium and Ksyrium SL
    Currently using Ultegra 6700 tubeless wheels with old Hutchinson Bulldog tubeless tyres, this setup is working really well, running low pressure and no burping.
    All wheels are narrow road rims, which get switched between road and cross bikes.

cp

Those aliexpress chinese carbon rims are only 13.5mm internal. IMO that is far too narrow to put anyting other than narrow race tyres on.

By comparison, an Iron Cross is 20mm, which will work OK with road tyres and with CX tyres. I wouldn’t want to go wider than 20 whilst running road tyres, as you start to risk the bead popping out of the rim lip. FWIW, the Iron Cross rims are also lighter, cheaper and available in the UK!

cp
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘CX wheels question’ is closed to new replies.