Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • CX Wheels
  • Spin
    Free Member

I’m totally out of touch with what’s what in this department so hit me with some recommendations.

Looking for:
    Old school QR – side question,what are we calling this now?
    Disc brake.
    Doesn’t need to be tubeless ready as I use tubes to facilitate regular tyre swaps.
    Fairly burly – I’m not a big lad but I do hammer it.
    Capable of taking road tyre pressures.
    Not stupid money – Mid range kind of thing.

Cheers!

scaredypants

mid-range being debatable, how about these? :

http://www.rczbikeshop.com/uk/dt-swiss-wheelset-xr1501-spline-one-29-disc-6-bolts-15x100mm-12x142mm-black.html#

use code RCZDWN before checkout

They’ll be around 400 euros delivered for a really nice xc mtb wheelset, though you’ll then need new adaptors for 5mm axles (can prob sell/swap the ones on there to break even) and they’re only officially good for 10sp road cassettes (though mine do fit 11sp 105 cassettes).
    [SLOW to deliver, mind, so no good if you’re in a rush]

(I’m assuming effectively zero warranty support for mine that I bought last year)

richardkennerley

Sounds to me like you want Hunt 4 seasons. I don’t know anything about this type of thing and that’s what I want 👍

mashr

Hunt 4 Seasons do fit the bill nicely. I’m happy with mine after a season on them.

QR is still QR

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Budget options: just about any now unfashionably narrow XC wheel from the last 10 years. Hope XC, Stans Crest, DT x470. Only thing to remember is that 10s MTB hubs will only take the shimano ‘CX’ 11 speed cassettes, not the road ones.

clubby

Really like my DT Swiss C1800 Spline. Decent weight, rated for 130kg rider and come with loads of different hub adaptors and tubeless bits to future proof them. German sites have them for £300 but my lbs price matched and got them the next day.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@Spin I’m selling a pair of handbuilts from my CX bike.
    Bitex Bx106 hubs in red with centrelock disc mounts. Shimano 11speed freehub.
    Sapim Dlight spokes in black.
    Black assymetric Kinlin xr31t rims
    24 spoke front, 28 spoke rear. They are/were my dry race wheels.
    Built by RyanBuildsWheels
    £275 posted.
    They’ve been great wheels but not had much use as I tended towards the wet wheelset on tubs.

Spin
    Free Member

Stans Crest

These aren’t rated for road tyre pressures which is important for me as I regularly swap between road and CX tyres.

Spin
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions / advice folks. I’m going to check out the Hunt ones to begin with.

huckersneck
    Free Member

10s MTB hubs will only take the shimano ‘CX’ 11 speed cassettes, not the road ones

What is a Shimano ‘CX’ cassette?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What is a Shimano ‘CX’ cassette?

They have a HGxxx part number rather than CS-Rxxxx. Basically it’s 11s road cassettes that have a narrower carrier (low gear is offset towards the spokes) to fit onto HG freehubs (10 speed and shimano MTB 11 speed). They’re only available in 11-34 IIRC.

The other alternative is to have someone machine a couple of mm off the back of a normal CS-Rxxxx cassette, but there’s no guarantee that it will have enough spoke clearance (34 obviously sits quite a bit further up the spoke than say 25t).

huckersneck
    Free Member

Ah, thanks very much. That is helpful.

hatter

The Hunts only have a 100KG weight limit so I’m not sure they’re qualify under your ‘fairly burly’ requirement.

The XR 1501’s will not be designed to hold road pressures and will, as said above, will come with a freehub that’ll only take a 10-speed road cassette.

The DT C (Cross) series seem to tick all the boxes though, come with Q/R adaptors in the box), 130 KG weight limit and tubeless ready if you decide to go that way in future. The C1800’s are the cheapest ones in the range and they go all the way up to fancy carbon jobbies.

Spin
    Free Member

DT Swiss C1800 Spline. my lbs price matched and got them the next day.

Just done exactly that. Thanks for the suggestions folks.

hatter

Nice work.

Let us know how you get on with them!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘CX Wheels’ is closed to new replies.