Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • CX tyres on Arch EX 29ers?
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

Would I be able to fit CX tyres to my 29er Arch EX rims?

Will probably use tubes, but would they go up tubeless if I decided to attempt it?

I assume the overall radius would be smaller, so might add a couple of teeth to my chainring to compensate, any other potential issues to consider?

honourablegeorge

I’ve got a set of Schwalbe G-One on order for commuter/canal path carry on on my Roadrat (or Escapade, if the Roadrat revival inspires me to take the plunge and order the new frame). They’ll be going on Creats, as Schwalbe recommend a 21mm internal rim.

I think the Arch is only a couple of mm wider, so you’d probably get away with it.

cp

I’ve seen quite a few arch ex with CX tyres on at the races this season

otsdr
    Free Member

@honourablegeorge: Both Crest and Arch EX are 21mm wide. And Grails are “20.3”mm, so basically no difference. I have the 35mm Ritchey WCSs on Grails and they fit very nicely.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Great, are you putting them up tubeless?

honourablegeorge

Yeah, tubeless is the plan. They also do the X-one which is similar but more CX-y, might suit you.

They haven’t shipped yet, will post something up once I get them mounted and ridden

scotroutes

I was running 35mm cx tyres on Arch EX rims for a while. No issues, lots of volume. I wasn’t running them tubeless though.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Great, just need to find some carbon forks too I think and I’ll be speeding along! (relative term).

2tyred

Raced most of this season with Clement PDX set up tubeless on Crests (which I think are the same width as Arch). Been great. Went up straight away with the track pump, had no issues racing with them. Excellent grip, supple feeling and very light. My tub wheels have been relegated to the pits.

eddie11
    Free Member

used clement mxps on flow ex in three peaks at 60ish psi cos its all i had at the time. The shape of the tyre was fine so a narrower arch will be fine i reckon.

2tyred

used clement mxps on flow ex in three peaks at 60ish psi cos its all i had at the time. The shape of the tyre was fine so a narrower arch will be fine i reckon.

Did you have them tubeless? I wasn’t brave enough and reverted to landcruisers!

coppice
    Free Member

I’m currently on a similar set up. Think they’re arch ex with a maxxis worm drive up front and a wtb all terrainasaurus out back. The arch ex is wider than the wtb is rated for and its also running more pressure than the rim is rated for but its on a full suss that doesn’t get ridden hard and is also running tubes if that makes a difference.

I really struggled finding a tyre that seemed knobbly enough but also fast rolling and reasonable weight/puncture protection.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘CX tyres on Arch EX 29ers?’ is closed to new replies.