Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • CX Tyres on a road bike – what size is OK?
  • Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I want to turn my old steel ss road bike into more of a all rounder and would like a tyre with a bit more grip (than a slick) for farm lanes, forest fireroads, dry singletrack, that sort of thing.

Not worried about ‘mud’ clearance as it won’t get use in the thick stuff.

Seen some Schwalbe CX Comps for a tenner each that are 700 x 30 and want to know if they would likely fit?

stever
    Free Member

Depends entirely on the frame. What’s the biggest tyre you could try now – is there much extra space?

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

They are 700 x 23c at the moment, the brakes are the biggest issue but there is plenty left and right clearance but not a huge amount above the tyre before the brake.

tony_m
    Free Member

there is plenty left and right clearance but not a huge amount above the tyre before the brake.

I’ve got 700×30 CX Comps on the Kaffenback. There’s only a couple of mm clearance at most between the edge of the knobbles and the chainstays, although like you I’m not planning on using them anywhere properly muddy so this shouldn’t be a problem. So far they’ve been great on hardpack, farm tracks, country lanes awash with bovine by-products, and cyclepaths covered in gloopy mulch.

Probably of more interest to you, they’re 28mm high (measured from the top of the rim).

HTH

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Thanks Tony_M thats the useful comment that can make this forum great!

I will measure tonight and check the actual height of my rim and brake and see if 28mm is enough.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘CX Tyres on a road bike – what size is OK?’ is closed to new replies.