Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • CX tyres on a 29er?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone run fat cx tyres on their 29er? Any noticeable difference in speed on the road or fire road?

DanW
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered some slick(ish) narrow MTB tyres to try and acheive the same thing. Main motivation for doing it this way is to keep a robust tubeless setup and also hopefully have a reasonably fast, off road MTB option whilst increasing road speed. The tyres are 1.95 Specialized Renegade and it will be interesting to see how things change compared to my current Ikons (supposedly quite high rolling resistance) and my “wet Summer” Bonty XR3/ XR2 tyres. Have a powermeter too so I can make some decent comparisons hopefully 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

Did the last HtN on it as a worst of both worlds compromise with Bontrager 38mm thingies.The lack of gears makes it hard to comment on speed on road!!

traildog
    Free Member

I ran some 26″ cyclocross tyres on my old 26″ hardtail mountain bike. This was when I first started out getting into cyclocross.
    To be honest, it wasn’t much of a success as it lowered the bike so much that I had to be very careful of pedal striking the grown going round corners. I couldn’t put the power down straight away.

DanW
    Free Member

To be honest, it wasn’t much of a success as it lowered the bike so much that I had to be very careful of pedal striking the grown going round corners. I couldn’t put the power down straight away.

Good point. This was another motivation for trying narrow(ish), slick(ish) MTB tyres instead of proper CX tyres- keeping the geometry the same. On a 26er you are probably better off putting a 29er wheel in for thin tyres???

zippykona

I used to run CX on 29s on a 26.
    Was rubbish on roots but would cut through our numerous quagmires a treat. Certainly saved a few OTBs.

STATO
    Free Member

^that is so Marin its amazing. Those bikes get a lot of jibes but they are still great fun to ride. Love the idea of turning it into a CX bike.

zippykona

That bike I will keep forever.
    Just put new 26 wheels on it and gone tubeless.The amount of money I’ve spent on trying to make my “best” bikes ride as well is stupid.

traildog
    Free Member

On a 26er you are probably better off putting a 29er wheel in for thin tyres???

Yes, but it was V-brakes. An old Orange P7 which I still have in the loft.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘CX tyres on a 29er?’ is closed to new replies.