Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • CX tyres – could anyone recommend some?
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

Preferably an all rounder with some puncture protection, not really a weight weenie so prefer to carry a few extra grams and save on the trailside repairs

acjim
    Free Member

I’ve used conti twisters and spec’ borough. both are ok, the speccy probably better if not in proper sloppy mud.

friend has schwalbe racing ralphs which look good – more knobbly!

don’t know about puncture protection sorry

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use racing rakphs – not cheap though.

clubber
    Free Member

I use Conti Speed Kings with wire beads and find them great as an all rounder – fine on the road and grippy off (despite the apparent lack of tread) and they’re cheap too.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I meanwhile would avoid speedkings with folding beads like the plague. I used twisters for a good while perfectly happily.

boxelder

WTB Crosswolf here – 32mm a little narrow for rockier stuff. I like the look of Cindercross. Folk from the 3 peaks rate Schwalbe Landcruisers as being tough and fairly fast rolling.

clubber
    Free Member

what was wrong with the speedking kevlars, adh?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

They were so slack beaded they kept blowing off the rims during the HONC clubber. Mr_a has also had problems with his – though not with the beads, more due to soft compound rubber wearing out double quick and very low puncture resistance IIRC.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i like panaracer cindercross.

wwaswas

what do people do about puncture protection?

I’ve got a specialized tricross SS and seem to average a puncture every other ride.

I’ve got slime tubes fitted which seem to limit the damage to the tyre defalting after I get home but it’s still a pain.

shoudl I try adding some no-flats to standard tubes? Can you get heavy duty cx tubes?

boxelder

High tyre pressure?
    Are they pinch flats or thorns?
    Those Landcruisers are meant to be fairly resistant.

aP
    Free Member

Just get some of the Schwalbe 28-34c inner tubes and check your tyres for cuts and flints regularly. Rub talc into the inside of the tyre and dust the inner tube before you put it in, also run just enough air to stop pinch punctures without losing off road grip.
    I use Michelin sprint and mud tyres (admittedly they’ve been in the loft curing since 2001), I found Conti Twisters very draggy although reasonably grippy, and also have some Vittoria CX tyres which have been pretty good.
    Overall though I quite like Tufo T32s, but they’ll only be any good if you have sprint rims.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’ve got Schwalbe RR’s, I like them but like wwaswas I flat almost every other ride.

I noticed when checking up on the Panaracer Cindercross that customers who bought the Cindercross also bought Panaracer Flataway

Flataway

maybe that’s the answer or other tyre liners?

acjim
    Free Member

what pressure do you folks run?

Me – 65psi on the back, 55 front

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I used to use and old inner tube sliced open and placed round my innertubes way way back on my MTBs before slime etc existed. Ends up same weight as heavy duty or DH innertubes, but seemed better pinch resistance than using a DH tube alone. You could try it.

My usual CX pinch puncture avoidance tactic however, is usually to just crank them up proper hard and deal with them being a bit skittery.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

what pressure do you folks run?

The max pressure the tyres or rims are rated for if I know its going to be a pinch-fest …

Bimbler
    Free Member

About 60 psi both ends

acjim
    Free Member

really? 80odd psi? I’ve ridden them like that but the lack of traction is terrifying! (I don’t ride much rocky stuff on the cx though so it’s not too pinchy)

aP
    Free Member

I usually go for about 40psi front and 45psi rear. With tubs I’ll go down to about 25-30psi.

clubber
    Free Member

85psi front and back but I do weigh 16+ stone… I can’t say that I find that it affects the grip all that much – CX bikes are meant to be skittery…

traildog
    Free Member

Get some solid touring tyres if blasting around on the rocks is your thing. You’ll probably be surprised by how much grip you can get. I use landcruisers for all round use and they do actually grip well.
    I swap to more specific cross tyres for racing but they is always a much bigger puncture risk with them.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘CX tyres – could anyone recommend some?’ is closed to new replies.