Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cx tubular wheel/tyre advice
  • benlg81
    Free Member

Morning

I have just bought a second hand cyclocross bike online and it has the following wheels and tyres.

Ambrosio Nemesis tubular rims added only a year ago so in good condition, with bearings replaced this year. Challenge Limus tub at front and Gomitalia Magnum at the rear.

Coming from mtb I have no experience with tubular wheels and tyres and kind of unsure if they are right for me to use daily for training ect.

My question is can I put slime or similar in these tubs like I have in my mtb which has saved me from many punctures (was getting one a ride before on one stretch of canal ect)

If not is there a good site to offer these for sale/swap so I can get some clincher wheels and tyres so I can easily change between road tyres and cx tyres if and when I choose and also run slime tubes or similar.

mattsccm
    Free Member

You’ll trash the tubs very quickly. Nowt wrong with tubs for cc but not for just riding a drop bar bike off road. Sell them.

benlg81
    Free Member

Cheers I was thinking the same is single track forum the best bet or is there a better market place for these?

Any ideas on value?

Sam

If you want to race keep the tub wheels and just get some cheap sturdy road clincher wheels. If you never want to race cx then sell the tubs.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The Nemesis rim is a venerable offering that was even still used by the World Tour teams in the spring classics up until about five years ago. They have a reputation for being extremely tough. I have a pair myself.

You can put latex solution into a tubular. Simply unscrew the valve core and pour it in. In case you didn’t know, a tub is not quite a regular clincher tyre with a regular inner tube sewn into the carcass but it’s not far off.

Higher quality tubs tend to have latex inner tubes (all the Vittoria Corsa and Pave variants for example) and with those you need to be careful which solution you put into them. Some have high acid contents and they can rot the tube.

I use Cafe Mariposa in mine and have had around 3000km of riding free from ‘you know whats’ out of them.

If you’ve got a set by chance then I would encourage you to give them a go as you’ve got nothing to lose. Try running them for a few months and see how you get on. Here’s what you’ll need to know:

– Treat yourself to a nice pair of high quality tubs. I really like running Vittoria Paves on my Nemesis wheels. These tubs are designed for the rigors of Paris Roubaix but still roll like a race tubular. When new they have very good puncture resistance (I haven’t done one yet) and are still reasonably light. They aren’t suitable for running somewhere like the Alps as the rubber compound is quite soft and not up to the heat generated by long descents.
    – Fill them with a latex solutoin
    – Buy a couple of cans of Vittoria Pitstop to take on rides. You’ll need two. These is an aerosol latex solution that you can use as a back up if you puncture badly enough that the latex in the tubes doesn’t do the job.
    – Be prepared for a ‘call of shame’ moment. Your chances of this happening are no higher, and probably lower, than if you were running clinchers but if it does happen you are going to be wishing you had clinchers (though for every other minute on the bike you’ll be glad you’re running tubs!)
    – Use tub tape initially and then if you feel adventurous give glue a go. I’ve used Tufo tape a lot in the past and alwasy found it work very well. It gives a very solid fix and is extremely neat and very easy to put on and take off.

If you’re still not convinced and you want to sell them, then the reputation of the Nemesis rim will always mean you’ll pass them on easily but the demand isn’t that high and that will reflect in the price.

How much they are worth will depend entirely on the hubs, spokes, spoke count and build quality.

Most people will want 32/32 even for CX and they will be hoping for high quality DB spokes.

If you had a set like this with a Dura Ace equivalent hub, less than one year old with a good build, then they will be worth between £280 and £320. If they are Hope hubs, then maybe £200 to £250.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Get some open tubs with cluncher rims.

epicyclo

Many years ago I did a short tour with tubs* in outback Oz, almost all dirt roads, so I don’t regard tubs as a disadvantage. I had no problem in the week despite going over some fairly rough terrain and covering a reasonable distance

But I don’t see a need for them now unless you are racing. Ordinary tyres have come a long way since then, especially tubeless. Rims are stronger too, which was the tub rims main advantage.

*pre MTB days.

geetee1972
    Free Member

But I don’t see a need for them now unless you are racing.

If that statement is true then it’s true for things like carbon frames, deep section wheels, electronic gears, aero helmets etc.

If they offer the racer an advantage then they will offer something that a lot poeple will want to enjoy even when not racing.

There does seem to be one big advantage that is practical though and that’s that they really don’t seem to puncture as readily as clinchers.

benlg81
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses

I don’t plan to race and will use the bike 60/40 off Tarmac on canal paths ect so think I may look to sell or swap for a set of clinchers just so I can carry 2 tubes on the bike easier

traildog
    Free Member

If that statement is true then it’s true for things like carbon frames, deep section wheels, electronic gears, aero helmets etc

I’m not sure that’s true. Most things are a compromise, even with the list you give. Deep section wheels for example are not as desirable for me as a light comfy wheelset because I live in the hills.

Tubulars on a cross bike allow you to run very low pressures for grip but they are vulnerable to damage, expensive and a faff. So the advantages they give are not worth it unless you are racing IMHO.

On the road, I think clinchers have got so good that I’m really not convinced that any advantage tubulars might give are worth it.

schmiken

If you do sell I could be interested. Email in profile.

benlg81
    Free Member

Cheers I’ve sent you an email

epicyclo

geetee1972 – Member
    “But I don’t see a need for them now unless you are racing.”
    If that statement is true then it’s true for things like carbon frames, deep section wheels, electronic gears, aero helmets etc.

If they offer the racer an advantage then they will offer something that a lot poeple will want to enjoy even when not racing.

Good point. Hoist by my petard. 🙂

I could have fitted clinchers to go touring in the outback, but I was confident enough in the tubs to use them, and preferred the superior feel and pinch flat protection.

benlg81
    Free Member

I’ve taken some pictures if anyone is interested in a swap for clinchers let me know

http://s66.photobucket.com/user/benlg81/library/wheels

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cx tubular wheel/tyre advice’ is closed to new replies.