Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • CX Tubs – Dugast vs Challenge question.
  • Bream
    Free Member

Does anyone have any real experience of running Dugast CX tubs on anything but race wheels? I’m considering them but I’m slightly worried they are race only tires and I want something that can cope with both race and training.

For some reason my gut feel is that something like the Challenge Griffo 33 would be more suitable; but I’ve no actual experience in owning either?

Or what about FMB or Vittoria?

Next question is to glue or tape, but that seems to be a never ending question although the new Vittoria Magic Mastik seems very intersting….

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

I’ve ‘raced’ both and whilst they both fantastic I don’t think I’d use either for training – although I haven’t got any evidence to back this up but they just feel a little too light weight/fragile for the rough and tough off any old surface training (assuming that’s what you mean by training). If you’re fixed on tubs for training some of the lower TPI ones may fair better, Specialized tracer/terra spring to mind – both fully vulcanised, lower TPI and still good treads but not quite to supple.

As for fixing, always Mastik One and Belgian tape (not Tufo etc) here but I’ve not tried or seen any CX reviews for Magic Mastik – it may be great.

bikebouy
    Free Member

How good are you?

Serious q that.

Only going to make the very slightest difference in all honesty in both brands, more mental than actual.

For me, Griffos all the way..

Someone else will have another opinion..

LS
    Free Member

I train on tubeless in the Peak District and every time I really bottom out onto the rim or graze the side of a great big rock, the first thing I think is ‘glad I didn’t wreck a tub on that’.
    There’s no way I’d run nice tubs like Dugasts or FMB for training. Tufos or Clements maybe but training is where tubeless has its advantages.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Bare in mind you’ll have to treat fmb/dugast/cotton tub sidewalls with waterproof sealant to stop them rotting in the long term,another faff.And that they are pretty fragile on ‘non cx’ terrain.
    Tufos are pretty tough though (although obviously not as supple as the cotton/silk tyres).
    I had good luck with tufo extreme tape (no rolled tyres) but swapped tyres to muds pretty much mid season.If I was running 2 sets of wheels I’d glue or glue+tape (belgian style).

Bream
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies; to answer the question I’m more a part time racer than an every weekender. With small kids racing fits around the family schedule but that doesn’t mean I don’t like riding decent kit. Think the cool factor of the Dugast might be swaying me but what you all write is more reality.

I’m really liking the tan sidewall look, are there any choices with low tpi that may last better or should I stick to the black fully vulcanised type?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I’m both a fan and long time user of Challenge Griffo/Limus and most recent Almanzos, all Tan walled as I think I’m part Belgian 😆

Ok, that out of the way.

I’m using Open Clinchers, treat them with water proofing (fibresill) and whilst good, it ain’t a substitute for keeping clean tan walls form mud stains for sure. Arguments about full rubber/tan walls always occur this time of year as the season starts.
    It’s really your choice, looks and provenance or looks and provenance 😐 It’s that simple.

Dugasts, excellent too.

Don’t be put off by tans going brown, it just shows you are using them for the right reasons, they may loose their good looks but that counts for nothing when you’re having a hoot riding.

IMO

😀

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Dugast or FMB if you want the best performance ( I personally prefer the FMB feel) but not as a training/general riding tub-they’re a bit too fragile for that IMO.
    Seal them as others have mentioned, or run a 2nd set of wheels with Clinchers-I’ve got Challenge Grifo’s for playing on budget wheels & spares at races.
    Don’t discount the likes of Schwalbe, they’re a bit more solid & you don’t have to treat the sidewalls, or Vitoria’s as you can pick them up really cheap.
    Glue every time & plenty of layers (I use 3 on the rim, 2 on the tub) tape alone won’t be enough to stop a cx tub rolling in a race at low pressures.

bikebouy
    Free Member
    Bream
    Free Member

Thanks again.

So would you still need to treat the sidewalls on the Challenge Grifo?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I’ve heard not, as they’re not the same construction, but I probably would because i’m a born worrier & want my investment to last!

Sam

If you like the skinwall look get Challenge clinchers. With latex tubes they ride very nicely and the only serious disadvantage over tubs is in very soft conditions you can’t run as low pressures. At the level it sounds like you are racing at clinchers will be absolutely fine.

Sam

Oh, and 2c on tub tape – I was previously in the ‘no way for cx or mtb’ camp but I recently mounted some tyres with the new Effeto Mariposa Carogna tape and it is a very reassuringly solid bond.

Sam

Oh, and 2c on tub tape – I was previously in the ‘no way or cx’ camp but I recently mounted some tyres with the new Effeto Mariposa Carogna tape and it is a very reassuringly solid bond.

LS
    Free Member

I recently mounted some tyres with the new Effeto Mariposa Carogna tape and it is a very reassuringly solid bond.

Agreed. I stuck some tubs on with it a few weeks ago and was quite impressed. They weren’t my tubs however and I wasn’t upset about that – I want to see how it stands up to a full season of mud and jetwashing before I think about making the switch. CX is the hardest of environments for tubular bonding.

Bream
    Free Member

Must be tubs as wheelset is already bought. Think I’ll go for the Grifo and seals the walls anyway as not so much extra effort. Thanks for all the replies.

Bream
    Free Member

Also; where did you buy the Effeto Carogna tape from? An online store?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘CX Tubs – Dugast vs Challenge question.’ is closed to new replies.