Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • CX Tubeless issues
  • gradwellski
    Free Member

Hi,

I am using the Cyclocross rim strip to try to convert a Fulcrum Racing 5 700c wheel to tubeless, using a Schwalbe Racing Ralph tyre. I have installed one layer of No Tubes rim tape underneath the strip.

The problem I am encountering is that the tyre inflates and holds air, but as soon as I remove the pump head to reinstall the valve core the tyre falls off the rim, i.e there is no tight seal.

If I try to inflate with the valve core still in the wheel I am able to get the wheel to inflate and it does hold air. However, it is possible to push the tyre back from the rim, indicating that it isn’t properly seated. If I then deflate the tyre it then falls away from the rim bead (there was never a ‘pop’ in the process and I have used lots of soapy water in the process).

So, the problem I have is that the tyre does inflate but just doesn’t want to form the ‘lock’ on the rim. Any thoughts on what could be the issue and how to remedy it would be very appreciated!

federalski
    Free Member

Are you pumping the tyre up to the psi you want to then ride at? It might be too low.
    If so you need to pump the tyre up really hard to it’s max psi limit, and maybe even a bit more for it to snap into the bead.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Use a rim and/or tyre that are designed to be run tubeless.
    Run higher pressures (the main issue with tubeless for cx is at the pressures you’d want to run,hey burp like mad…..sort of defeating the point.Tubs FTW)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    2tyred

I’ve used tubeless clinchers for racing last season and this.

Last year I used a regular Clement PDX tyre on a Stans rim, which worked well once I got them on and only gave me a problem once, when one burped and bled air over the course of a lap. This year I’ve put the tubeless version of those tyres on, they went up with a track pump no problem and have given me no issues so far.

If your tyre’s not snapping onto the rim I’d say it was a matter of time before it rolls off, especially at lower pressures.

Try and seat them by putting as much air in as you dare – careful though, I’ve had tyres explode off, giving me a numb hand and 10 minutes of deafness!

ferrals
    Free Member

Clement PDX tyre on a Stans rim…..the tubeless version of those tyres on, they went up with a track pump no problem and have given me no issues so far.

Likewise, 20psi and holding fine. Have also used bonty cx0 tubless ready with zero issues

THe tubeless version is signifantly less supple than the non-tubeless though

2tyred

Feels that way in your hand, but can’t say I notice a difference between the two when I’m riding. Too busy bleeding out my eyes though probably!

ferrals
    Free Member

Yes likewise!

STATO
    Free Member

The racing 5 LG (below, not sure if other 5’s are the same) has a poor profile for converting to tubeless as the rim is designed to use the hook to hold the tyre to the rim so the bead seat too small to get that ‘pop’ that shows your tyre is held in place. Not a problem at higher pressures but for cross its less than ideal.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘CX Tubeless issues’ is closed to new replies.