Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • CX single ringists…
  • marvinpines
    Free Member

Where is yours, inside or outside?

Whilst I await the arrival of my short chainring bolts, I thought I’d ask. I have a Hope 38t Retainer to replace the 36-46 (I haven’t used the big ring all season). I’m running a 10 speed SLX cassette and a medium cage 105 derailleur.

Cheers!

benji
    Free Member

I run mine on the inside, but I’m single sprocket as well 8)

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

CX1 chainset 8)

reggiegasket
    Free Member

inside with a lightweight BBG bash on the outside, and a n-gear jumpstop on the seattube.

Rorschach
    Free Member

ohh same as me!!

barrykellett
    Free Member

Running an XT double on my race bike, so just plonked it on where the bigger ring goes.

Think I am going to go back to a double set up though next season.
    I had to have some assurances so converted to SRAM Double tap shifters and a Type II mech. The chainline is poor and struggles to ever get the top cog on the cassette. Which isn’t that much of an issue. But Double Tap is. For the proper cold races. Shifting becomes very vague and uncomfortable with cold finger tips

SORT IT OUT SHIMANO AND MAKE ME A CLUTCH MECH FFS

mos

Cheers ChunkyMTB, i know what i’m gonna get myself for my 40th. That Cannondale (in Tom Kerridge stylee) “looks proper lush”.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Do it.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

1 X 11. 40 X 28-11. 11 speed rear mech no clutch, been perfecto.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I ran an absolute black 38 tooth on my Giant Tcx.
    Shimano 105 10 speed mech with the Absolute Black mod on their site.
    Ups the spring tension in the mech so no need for a clutch.
    No chain drops yet!
    Thanx,
    Max

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Oh,
    Ring in big ring position and all gears usable!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Big ring position for mine as the 40t chainring was a bit close to the chainstays on the inner ring.

samuri
    Free Member

Inside, outside. It don’t matter. Keep the tension nice and tight and you’ll be fine.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/kofoJE]IMG_7180[/url] by martin holden photography, on Flickr

crispycross
    Free Member

Inside. Wolftooth components 42 on Force cranks, no keeper or guard ring, with Ultegra or 105 rear mechs and 10 speed cassettes, 12-27 or 11-28. Only 3 mm of clearance between the teeth and the chainstay but never a problem with clogging there. In fact, getting rid of a chainring and the frontmech has opened up the BB area and means it takes much longer to bung up. Even without a clutch mech, only had the chain come off once all season, in the super claggy mud at Bradford.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Right, will give retensioning the derailleurs a go.
    I used a regular mech but never got round to disecting it at the start of the season, dropped the chain once in a race and again the next weekend but in practise that time.

As crispycross says, so much less to bung up in there with a single ring, neat and tidy. So much to love.

I really missed the top cog though at the nationals last week. Most mountainous CX race ever.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

38T RaceFace NW outside with 105 short cage DR with spring moved.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘CX single ringists…’ is closed to new replies.