Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cx single ring query with clutch mechs
  • carbon337
    Free Member

I run 9 SPd 1×9 for cx racing but my rear mech is about knackered so needs new one. Began thinking about using my 9 SPd road shifters but with a shimano clutch mtb rear mech.

I think they’re old 105 shifters. Don’t want to spend a fortune moving it all to 10spd inc new shifters etc.

Will a mtb clutch mech work with 9 SPd road jobbies?

avdave2

The pull ratio is different from road to mtb. You can use 10 speed road shifters to control a 9 speed mtb rear mech on a 10 speed block but then you are buying a load of new kit and won’t have a clutch mech either.

carbon337
    Free Member

I’m sure a 9 SPd road can control a 10spd road rear mech so will probably just buy a new road specific one and forget trying to be clever

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve never had any issues using ultegra stis and xt rear mechs, 15000 miles and counting. Front mechs have a different throw so you need to use paired parts.

STATO
    Free Member

Shimano 10sp MTB mechs are not compatible. The older 9sp MTB stuff was (with 8,9 and 10 road).

The only way I can find to get a clutch mech on a cross bike is to go full SRAM. Their 10sp stuff is cross compatible.

Interestingly tho, a lot of people are also running Campagnolo 10sp shifters with SRAM 10sp mechs, im going to try this on my new setup later this month.

It could be (relatively) cheap, shifters (£60 xenon), mech (£50 X7T2), cassette and chain (£40 for basic road ones).

maximusmountain
    Free Member

I am having a similar issue trying to run a clutch mech on my cross bike. I am having to go full sram just to get the gears I want (11-36 on the back) which sucks a dick.

STATO, is the pull ratio the same then?

STATO
    Free Member

STATO, is the pull ratio the same then?

Some people are suggesting so, ive not tried it yet. I have also seen people using a shiftmate to make it work (even tho they dont list that combination on their site?) so not sure. Its certainly close, will post back once ive tried it, might be a few weeks tho.

STATO
    Free Member

Had another look, shiftmate do list one but only in the straight type.

But some people report it works ok anyway…
    Velonews

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cx single ring query with clutch mechs’ is closed to new replies.