Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • CX – Sell it to me you beautiful people…
  • thebatesbristol
    Free Member

…for potentially Mendip exploring and Somerset cider drinking.

Maybe evening further a field

qwerty
    Free Member

It’s great!

franki
    Free Member

I guess his eyes are closed in prayer?

Saved it pretty well though iirc.

qwerty
    Free Member

Just how did you manage to keep the bike upright when you snapped your steerer tube on the descent of Pen-Y-Ghent?
    I landed on my feet! When I knew that the steerer had snapped I let go of the bars and grabbed hold of what was left of the steerer and rode it into the grass and jumped off! But I was seriously going, I must have been doing way over thirty and I went over a bump, and the front end came slamming down. It wasn’t a major slam but something wasn’t right, so I didn’t brake – otherwise I’d have flown forward, so I pulled the bars up and they were just in my hands, so I grabbed the steerer and rode it into the grass.

And finished 3rd !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

martymac

Lighter than normal mtb, can handle rougher terrain than a road bike, can make relatively tame terrain seem tremendously exciting.
    Of course, you could also take all those points the other way, making a cx bike the worst of both worlds.
    Fwiw, i like mine, precisely because it can do almost anything reasonably.

hairylegs
    Free Member

Lighter than normal mtb, can handle rougher terrain than a road bike, can make relatively tame terrain seem tremendously exciting.
    Fwiw, i like mine, precisely because it can do almost anything reasonably.

Exactly that. If you’re riding natural terrain it takes the tedium out of the road sections and adds a bit of spice to bridleways.

There will of course be those that don’t get it.

Best advice is to get your hands on one, go ride and make your own mind up.

ferrals
    Free Member

That picture is ridiculous, it looks like there’s not much steere to grab hold of!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve had a cross bike for just over a year. Done two off road rides on it, hated it and since then its been used for a 2 mile each way commute to the station in all weathers with a full compliment of mud guards etc. For that (a mix of road and towpath), its great. I’m going to give it the benefit of the doubt and give it another go on much tamer trails than I originally took it on this summer because in my head I do like the idea of having something totally different to my go-to 160mm bike which seems to do everything so damn well and so damn fast and fun. That said, my Curtis singlespeed (or maybe geared) hardtail will be done by the time the summer rolls around so that’ll probably resign the cross bike to an eternity of station commutes.

jekkyl

inappropriate handlebars! narrow and with funny under bits.
    inappropriate tyre width for off-road. try riding on an off camber muddy bank.
    inappropriate forks, no suspension!

I’m trolling of course, just mildly.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Sell it to me

where does that go?

chestrockwell

I bought one, changed a few bits then left it in the garage. Sold it on in ‘as new’ condition. 😐

I just never seemed to be in a position where it was the right call over one of my MTB’s. Saying that, I don’t get out on anything as much as I’d like.

tomhoward

CX for me, conjures up images of skinsuits, riding round a muddy, wet, cold school playing field and abject misery.

Bikes seem ok, just a bit racey for country lane and light off-road stuff.

Enter gravel bikes, images of endless sunsets, campfires and massive horizons. Bikes seem comfy and fun.

Guess which I have, and really enjoy?

Northwind

When a rigid xc bike just isn’t shit enough, that’s when CX bikes come into their own

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Enter gravel bikes, images of endless sunsets, campfires and massive horizons. Bikes seem comfy and fun.

You’re a marketing person’s wet dream Tom.

BillOddie

Guess which I have, and really enjoy?

THIS! But with coffee, bacon and beards.

redted
    Free Member

Crap on road, crap off road, but still love mine and wouldn’t be without it.

tomhoward

You’re a marketing person’s wet dream Tom.

I know, I’ve made my peace with it. Haven’t bought a lemon yet though…

SaxonRider

I already have one, ahwiles, but in light of your sales job, I may buy another!

8)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I know, I’ve made my peace with it.

😀

timnwild

Love mine – and thought I never would.

I’m training for a big road ride, and can break up the tedium by heading off on bridleways or whatever anytime. Been out loads of wet mornings for road or bridleway rides when the prospect of filling my full suss with wet grinding paste doesn’t appeal – it’s 10 easier to clean. Also useful for annoying proper roadies by bunnyhopping about like you’re on an MTB.

Did a local Wiggle MTB on it a while back in Fontwell (wooded, no mega-steep climbs) and it was a lot of fun.

letitreign
    Free Member

One of my favourite bikes, probably because I get the most use out of it, been a tight ass Yorkshire person I like to know I’m getting my monies worth!
    It’s a Cannondale CAAD (scram rival) had it a few years now, I use it for commuting to work, as a winter bike…oh and summer bike (road bike is still sat in the loft where it was last year!), bit of cyclocross, pub rides, out on the tracks in the countryside, 100 mile sportives, it’s been everywhere and I’ve never (touch wood) had to do anything to it, just clean and lube it up, look after the chain, changed the tires when there worn out, I’d have thought it would have needed a new BB and cassette/chain by now but it’s still going strong, if your into mountain biking but fancy getting out on the tracks and getting from A to B quickly, get one, there actually good laugh off road. So yes, get one!

nemesis
    Free Member

Mendips is my local too. I love riding my CX there. Even took it out with the Shipham lot one night 🙂

tomhoward

Just remembered a comment from an lbs customer when I mentioned he might like to try a cx bike.

‘Oh, I could never do that. Itd be like cheating on your wife.’

So there’s that.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

‘Oh, I could never do that. Itd be like cheating on your wife.’

With a 20 stone hells angel called Big Barry.

hedley
    Free Member

I love mine.

I go all round the fire roads here. Miles and miles of lovely gravel and hills to explore on.

Stick some slicks on it and it becomes a road bike to explore all the miles and miles of lovely back roads we have here.

Have even taken it down Spooky Woods at Glentress, although I missed out the drops and jumps and I wasn’t particularly fast and was terrified…

jonnyboi

CX bikes are great, they are basically gravel bikes without the marketing and additional mark up. Sure someone will tell you about taller head tubes, slacker angles and lower bottom brackets for all day comfort but it’s all mostly bull crap. There are some very specific CX bikes that may not have mudguard etc. mut most are jack of all trades.

If I had to have one bike it would be a CX. It’s a jack or all trades and master of none.

Plus, you get to do CX races if you really want to. I love seeing how close I can get to having a heart attack with 100 other like minded men.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I didn’t get it at all. I live near the South Downs and can’t get up any of the steep climbs using lowest of 34/50 11-32 gears, and the steeper descents are horrendous due to lack of grip, too low/narrow handlebars, and too high seat. At the same time, any road sections become a lot slower. If i use it for commuting, i get soaked everytime it’s wet unless i fit mudguards which then clog up when used off-road in the slightest bit of mud. It’s basically only useful it there’s some kind of flat dry off-road routes nearby and even then your hands end up sore after holding those stupid shifters off-road due to all the bumps. They are just overpriced re-packaged 90’s MTB’s, which you could pick up on ebay for 50 quid. POINTLESS.

This isn’t “imo” either, these are all 100% completely actual facts.

superstu
    Free Member

Marginally slower on road than my old road bike, but prefer the discs and the wider tyres mean I don’t feel like I’m going to snap my wrists / die when hitting the numerous number of cavern sized potholes.

Great for exploring when you’re in country lanes and see bridleway signs you may have missed previously.

Fun off road, in a scary manner. You may wish you had your mountain bike with you if you find a great bit off road, but then you probably wouldn’t have got there to explore it because of the road.

Does everything pretty well. It’s fun.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hands end up sore after holding those stupid shifters off-road due to all the bumps.

That’s why they’re called shifters.

Handlebars on the other hand, clue’s in the name.

Dave
    Free Member
    Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Best advice is to get your hands on one, go ride and make your own mind up.

^. Best advice IMHO.

I was looking for a better-suited MTB and chanced upon a ‘monstercross’ demo. No-one can tell you what to buy, just try something you want to try.

Bregante

They do hold a certain appeal…

[video]https://youtu.be/XGc5JF1IxzY[/video]

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have a roadie friend who races CX. She loves it.

It looks f*cking sh*t.

aP
    Free Member

I got my first CX bike in 96. I’ve ridden it loads – commuting, touring, racing, training, just out on a Sunday riding.
    I like the simplicity of it, and the just-getting-on-with-it nature of the riding.
    with the availability of bigger tyres it becomes more adaptable – in 96 the biggest CX tyres were 700c/30mm but I now put 40mm on it (future proofing eh?)
    I gave it a big refurb about 3 years ago with a 2005 Chorus groupset that came off my main road bike – it’s still great!

thebatesbristol
    Free Member

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLAAPEX1/planet-x-xla-sram-apex-1-hydraulic-disc-cyclocross-bike

Thanks all, what are the thoughts on something like this. Components seem good, price point is important, carbon isn’t important (and better for the planet).

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘CX – Sell it to me you beautiful people…’ is closed to new replies.