Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • CX riders, how does 2×10 Tiagra normally cope in mud?
  • 13thfloormonk

I’ve been out twice now in fairly muddy conditions, first time the drivetrain got a bit noisy/rumbly but worked fine, then last night I seemed to lose the use of my lowest three gears at the back, the derailleur just couldn’t seem to settle on the cogs.

I couldn’t see anything jammed in the cassette/derailleur, and everything looked straight, so I’m at a bit of a loss as to what caused the problem. When riding normally on the road the drivetrain shifts flawlessly (better than my 11spd 105…).

Cheers

davidjey
    Free Member

Mine’s handling a ‘cross season fine.

Is your gear cable dead/the indexing out?

13thfloormonk

Well it wasn’t until last night, and it’s only the top three cogs which are having issues, the rest shift smoothly.

I cleaned the bike and stuck it back in the stand so I’ll have a fettle tonight, to my mind the symptoms are either bent hanger or something stuck in cogs, neither of which appear to be the case…

Thanks for the reassurance about the mud though!

daver27
    Free Member

i find my 105 11 speed to be fine, however, my 10 speed XT stuff also has issues on the lowest 3 cogs, but only when its wet and a bit gritty. just seems to be one of those things.

gears are flawless in anything other than wet and mud

eskay

Mine holds up very well.

Did my local (very muddy) cx race at the weekend and I was starting to lose gears towards the end but that was mainly due to the cassette being jammed with mud. It made it to the end of the race which is more than can be said for a lot of more expensive bikes/gears! The number of broken rear mechs/hangers was high!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘CX riders, how does 2×10 Tiagra normally cope in mud?’ is closed to new replies.