Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • CX racing – wheres a good one for a beginner?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Fancy trying a spot of CX racing to test out my kinesis crosslight and my fitness.

Total beginner never even raced on the MTB before, so what would be a good event to start? In Scotland preferably.

Also any techniques I need to master 1st? i.e unclipping 1 pedal and getting off the bike when still moving etc?

..and would I need to were full lycra or are baggies allowed?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Cyclocross events in Scotland
    Have a look at the BC site. ^^

You will find that people of all shapes, sizes and bike types race so whatever fitness you are there will always be someone to race against.

In terms of race craft, practice mount and dismount as you can gain plenty of places and time if you’re good at this. There as also a lot of accelerating out of corners too so power and recovery are useful, HIIT will help.

Don’t worry too much at first, just enter and enjoy it and then you will see where you need to improve. There is plenty of info online regarding specific training.

jonba
    Free Member

Don’t know if the TLI do any races up near you, might be worth checking their calendar.

Work it out as you go along, its not that hard to get off a bike and you don’t need to do it at a run if you don’t want to. Besides the pace is furious so you might not be able to run.

For ours they are qite informal. The guys at the front are on carbon bikes with skin suits moving towards mountainbikes and baggies at the back.

Personally I’d recommend lycra as it makes getting caught up on the saddle less likely.

I just turned up to my first one and had a go and improvd from there.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘CX racing – wheres a good one for a beginner?’ is closed to new replies.