Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • CX National Champs – 9 & 10 January in Shrewsbury
  • Simon-E

Mid Shropshire Wheelers are hosting the biggest cycling event in Shrewsbury since… ever? It’s shaping up to be a fantastic couple of days, and very muddy. Event twitter – https://twitter.com/XNationals2016

Sundorne Sports Village, post code: SY1 4RQ. There are AA direction signs from main roads. I think there’s a charge for parking but the event is free to watch.

Saturday vets and youths. Sunday U23 and Elites. Racing starts at 09:30.

We even had a few minutes on BBC Midlands Today (now on iPlayer, the CX piece starts at 21 mins).

BC event preview

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

should be a good weekend, some close racing, got a funny feeling i am going to be kept busy in the pits!

Who do you think going to win?
    thnk Liam Killeen might beat Ian Field this time.
    with Nikki Harris form at the mo think she get the better of Helen Wyman.
    think both wil be v close and down to a mistake by someone.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

with Nikki Harris form at the mo think she get the better of Helen Wyman.

this if Harris has shaken off her illness/cold. Munqe Chick there now, just finished as pit crew for a mate who raced V40 women earlier (4th in age cat, 10/11th in entire field I think) and MC is racing in the “elite” field tomorrow. So predictably came down with a stinking cold Friday 🙄 she was thrilled to get the official start list through with her name sandwiched right between Harris and Wyman – not expecting the results sheet to look the same 😀

Looks like a fun course and chapeau to the club who put it on, wish I could be up there spectating/pit crew but stuck at work this weekend 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cp

Wish I could be there, but bit too far too watch 🙁 and I’m racing locally tmw 🙂

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I rode a couple of laps yesterday during my lunch break & it was wetter than I’ve ever seen the place, so dread to think what it’ll be like by the time I’m racing on it tomorrow-good job I like running..
    Decided not to go today because of the weather & sorting my own kit out.
    Results & reports seems to be coming through well on twitter though.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

OMG THAT was the most horrific race I have ever done! NOt sure I enjoyed it! Probably nearly 50% of the course you had to run it was crazy and since I’m not a runner (I run like a walrus running through treacle) not a great day out! also slightly miffed as told at start if we got lapped we got pulled out on that lap (fine) but we wouldn’t show as a DNF we’d be +1 lap and have a time. Nope I’m down as a DNF! Not particularly encouraging when I bloody well did finish when it could have been so easy to pull out as it was so brutal. Average HR 190 I mean WTF!!!

Anyone else spectate? think I’d prefer to go back to cheering others on 😉

sefton
    Free Member

Well that was a bit hard..and mucky!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Sefton I wrote more on other thread 😉

Speshpaul

“Anyone else spectate?”
    Yes managed to see the two elite races today, in between marshalling (with SimonE and many others)
    Shame about the mechanical’s deciding the womens, it was building up rather nicely.
    Happy to see Liam bang out a solid win, he worked damn hard for that.
    But the star of the day for me was Nick Craig, 4th today in the elite, after winning the vets yesterday.
    Outstanding performance and still had time to shake my had and say thanks at the end. What a gentleman.
    Back there tomorrow…….oh the horror:-)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Back there tomorrow to take all the barriers down? Ouch put an updated pic of the “pits” on here then 😉 can see why so many people don’t allow us to ever go back!

Speshpaul

Yeap plenty to do tomorrow.
    I think we’ll have plenty of people for the next cx race:-)
    Feed was has been excellent.

sefton
    Free Member

Had a huge off 1st lap.right through the tape and into the crowd.dead last.managed to claw 6 painful positions back.all God fun…honest!

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

what a wkend! some great racing, New Nat champ for men & woman
    MChick, have a word with them (or the chief comm) about you DNF they should change it.
    Yes very muddy, was v busy in pits Sat and today, with half lap bike changes for all 3 races I covered. But worth it with it when one of the riders gets 2 medals and a stripy jersey.

Yes Pits was very muddy/big puddle, ankle deep and bit manic and free for all at times!

But well done to all the riders, it was a hard course with the running and mud so again well done to all the finished.

Yes Nick Craig a true gent, had a bit of a chat/catch up with him (and a few others) don’t know how if does 2 races (he races both on the same day at Trophy rounds!) shame Thomas Craig was and did not race, Charlie did well as well.

sefton
    Free Member

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

So that was you, hero to zero?

tang
    Free Member

I was cheering you on munqe! Looked like a really really hard race. Had a great time spectating, not as easy to get around as other venues, but that’s mainly due to mud! I think DMC & SW did a fantastic job hosting. Best marshalled race I’ve been to outside of a World Cup or Prestige.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

One of the best & hardest races I’ve ever done.
    Parts on the banking were similar to the depth at Milton Keynes NT last season after the WC raced the day before.
    I”m hardly at the sharp end, but happy with my performance (39th in ‘elite’ men)
    Helen must be gutted with what happened at the end of the elite ladies race, reality feel sorry for her, but that’s racing I guess.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Nikki H also dropped her chain in the wooded section and had to fight back hard to get on, so could have easily gone the other way. It’s racing and hard though it may be, Nikki H is a deserved winner (and had my support all the way).

Tang thanks! there were so many cheers from people I had no idea who they were, was trying to engage but i was in SO much pain! Average HR 190 shows how much I was hurting! I had 2 goals .. not to come last, achieved that. Second not to get lapped by NIkki and Helen.. .. I didn’t achieve that one but hey ho they are professionals! Very good experience to go and race at National level, the atmosphere was electric, the crowds were awesome and I can take away lots of positives! So generally today I’m feeling a lot happier 🙂

Top job Shropshire Wheelers did yourself proud!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I think we’ll have plenty of people for the next cx race:-)
    Feed was has been excellent.

Speshpaul MC meant some venues not allowing CX races back after they see the carnage wrought (like the pit lake), not riders not wanting to return to the venue!

MChick, have a word with them (or the chief comm) about you DNF they should change it.

Looks like the DNF were just provisional and they have placed finishes on the UCI site now.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Was there watching yesterday and really enjoyed it. Thought Dave Mellor and the team did a really great job pulling it all together and some good exciting racing.
    Have raced there a number of times but never seen it as wet as that before.
    Was really pleased for Nikki Harris-just shows you should never stop pushing as anything can happen-even in the last few minutes.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Would love to say I was chasing Harris alas I was getting lapped! look at the total look of concentration and focus on hers, versus brokenness on mine 🙂
    Was well chuffed when I just came across this picture on twitter.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

this was the pits before the Elite men.. this is the bottom end of the football field!!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘CX National Champs – 9 & 10 January in Shrewsbury’ is closed to new replies.