Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • CX: Giant TCX SLR 2 or CAADX 105?
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

WooHoo, all looking good here for new bikes, I like that !

I do have another couple of points, and I feel sharing is required.

So, you’ve seen what I do with my bike, I’m planning more with it too..

So recent long CX point to point rides (incl overnight B&B/Hotels) I’ve done I’ve been using my camelbak and TBH I didn’t like it one bit. You can see I ride low slung which meant the pack would tend to drag my shoulders down and place some pressure on my wrists. After a couple of long sportive s I did I promised myself never to use the thing again and just rely on bottles and jersey pockets full of food and spares, it’s worked perfectly. One good thing about these sportive s is you really are not far from a bottle top up or something to eat or even a bit of mechanic tinkering if you need it.
    These have been great fun TBH and I would recommend them to anyone whose out for a longer distance organised event with a relaxed atmosphere and the back up you may need.
    When I ride P2P stuff I tend to stay in decent hotels and enjoy using steaming hot showers and decent food. I’m not alone in this I think and one thing I’ve found if booking them tell them/ask them that you are bringing the bike, ask if theres anywhere to store/lock it securely and that they’ll either serve food in the room of don’t mind you sitting in the corner of a restaurnat in stinky gear. I realry take spare clothing, just a wind/wet proof jersey and a spare pair of socks, If the rides a few daya they I’ll post on a set of bibs and get the hotel to post the smelly ones back and they’ve all been fine with that.
    But recently I’ve bought some bike packs to fit to the bike. Now you know my bikes a race machine, but I do like to extend the use and I’ve recently bought Aplpidura Compact seat bag and compact handlebar bag for it. This will extend the use and I have planned some really long distance rides using this gear notably the Camino de Santiago. I tried these out yesterday, fitted them to the bike with no bother what so ever and filled them with the normal things I would consider taking.. blimey.. theres so much room in them left.. Riding light is my key here so I’m not suprised. But now I’ll plan for taking more stuff and could quite conceivably take spare bibs and at least two jerseys..

Just thought I’d point out that CX’er are not just for CX racing or commuting but riding long distance off road too.

8)

boblo
    Free Member

@bikebouy. What gearing are you using for your off road touring?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sizing first: Mines a M. I tried the L out but it’s too big for me. I’m 5.10 1/2 in stilletos’ (not really) and 33″ inside leg. The L for me was a little longer in the TT and just felt a bit of a stretch. Don’t forget most of it’s work is hacking my local sngletrack and racing. Therefore I want flicky, light, lythe, compact and chuckable. The bikes perfect for this type of riding i do. I wanted a little more stretch (being an old school roadie) so the 100mm stem got changed for a 110mm but thats it, the rest is standard.
    For long distance I’m finding the sizing perfect too, thought I might need to stretch out a bit more but it’s bang on for me TBH and keeping the zing feel i like.
    Gearing: I ride up hill a lot on my hacks, short sharp and long drags so the std front rings are on 40/34 and the rear I’ve up’ed to 30/12 (std’s 28/11) This gives me an ultra spinny for short sharp 20+%’ers and slippy dust gravel climbs. Racing I normally leave the bike in the small ring and scoot all over the rear, rarely do I use the big ring. If Sportives then I’m normally in the big ring (unless steep climbs) and I’m scooting in the top 4/5 cogs. I bottom out on fast roads or gravel but I’m happy with that, I rarely think I need the 11 on the back.

😀

Kryton57

I didn’t see it I didn’t see it I didn’t see it I didn’t see it I didn’t see it

bikebouy
    Free Member

That there is a Bargain ^^

How can they do it for that price ❓

boblo
    Free Member

That’s a good price. I paid £100 more from Epic last year for mine. Leaves loads of budget for upgrades 😀

Kryton57

A question:

Has anyone fitted ‘guards to the TCX? Its imperative to me as a winter bike, but I notice it doesn’t have a bridge at the top of the chain stays, or anything at the fork to mount it on.

What works/would work?

mlpinto
    Free Member

I’ve just got a CAADX 105 via cycle to work – seemed nice on the 3 mile run to the shops I’ve managed so far, but can’t wait to get it on a proper ride with some off road too.

I have the CAADX. I’ve changed the brakes for Spyres and wheels for Kinesis Crosslight Cx’s

This is more or less the plan for mine eventually – the stock brakes don’t seem great but I see a comment above that they need a lot of bedding in…

I was also happy to find that the huge stickers on the wheels come off very easily and tone things down a tiny bit!

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘CX: Giant TCX SLR 2 or CAADX 105?’ is closed to new replies.