Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • CX gear lowering with expander cogs etc??
  • MrSparkle

I am still clinging onto the hope that one day I’ll do the Three Peaks cx again. I’ve done it 7 times so far so I’ve an idea of where my strengths and weaknesses are.
    One thing I am interested in is having a nice low gear to slog up Pen y Gent Lane in. Can somebody advise me what I’d need to do to my 2011/2012 Boardman cx team ( this one: http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/boardman/cx-team-2011 ) to achieve this? Its got a 10 speed cassette (Shimano I think) with Sram Apex deraillieurs. I’ve seen these expander cog things but I don’t really know much about ’em, tbh.
    Ta.

MrSparkle

Maybe I could get away with running an 11 – 36 cassette on there.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I reckon you’d get a 11-36 cassette on there no worries.

Alternatively, fit a SRAM MTB mech with a clutch, single ring it and chuck a 10speed 11-36t cassette with a 40 or 42t expander on.

I’m running a 105 CX mech (med cage I think) and it handles a 32 cassette easily, AFAIK the cage on the Apex is longer so a 36t shouldn’t be an issue.

richardthird

38T 11-36.

teamslug
    Free Member

Ive just put a xt 36-11 on my road bike. Wouldn’t work with 105 rear mech but i put a really old lx 8 speed medium cage rear mech on and it works a treat. Needed it for a 15 -21% hill i’ve found.

bumper
    Free Member

richardthird – Member
    38T 11-36.

this or if you’re still struggling try a 36t or even a 34 from superstar if its 110bcb

I’m happy with mine, it’s still good enough for roads too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i can lend you the set up to do this and explain what is happening as I do it

I have a 10 speed 36 and a 40 and 42 tooth expander]to be clear i need them all so its a pretty short term loan to see if it is in anyway useful before splurging some cash- weekish
    I am over your way in the near future to collect a washing machine

E-mail me if you want me to come round and fettle

tang
    Free Member

I have a Lindarets road link and tanpan. This enables me to run a 11-40 cassette with a short road mech (with road link) or a clutch shimano mech (add the tanpan). Ideal for 3px.
    With clutch mech

With road mech

I have chucked a 36t single ring on for big days in the hills off road.

nick1962
    Free Member

I use an 11-34 and an 11-36 cassette on the same bike no problem.Not at the same time obviously 😉

MrSparkle

Cheers all. Might try a 36t cassette on my spare set of wheels and see how we go on.

flap_jack
    Free Member

A roadlink has just popped through my letter box, together with an 11-40 (and a chain). Looking forward to fitting it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘CX gear lowering with expander cogs etc??’ is closed to new replies.