Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Which CX disc wheels?
  • greenman
    Free Member

Looking for a set of CX disc wheels, I’m looking at Kinesis cx discs for about £250.
    Any reason not to?
    Any other recommendations?

Mainly road use but some light off roading.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Any reason not to?

aluminium nipples, best kept away from winter road salt…

corroded
    Free Member

Been impressed with my Wheelsmith Cross23s, though a bit more than the Kinesis. And limited to 60psi.

Markend
    Free Member

I have a nice set of Kinesis Crosslights for sale here

warton
    Free Member

chinese 50mm tubulars. that’s what i race on…

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Mavic Aksium?
    I’ve got the Fulcrum, which have been ok, except for the free hub which is crap & hard to find.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have thought anything would come close to the kinesis on price to weight ratio?

cookeaa

The kinesis wheels are silly light for the price, but if weight isn’t a primary concern Shimano WH-RX05 can be picked up for £100, but are a good 600g heavier, which is very good VFM I reckon, but not racing snake light obviously…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I built some for around 140 using Novatec hubs, Alex ATD470 rims and ACI DB spokes that weigh around 1800g.

The Kinesis are the lightest for the money, but as above, they have 28 very thin (1.5mm) spokes and aluminium nipples, so if you’re commuting year round or ever fancy some touring they might not be the best choice (I used to have some but sold them on for that reason)

antigee
    cp

Superstar Iron Cross on Switch hubs. £200 with code FORT10 till the end of the month

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/stans-iron-cross-cx-disc-switch-hubs-edition.htm

faustus

Shimano RX31s are also worth a look at £180-£190, not too heavy. I’ve wanted a pair of Crosslights but have gone off the idea because of the wafer thin spokes and alu nipples – fine for a ‘best’ wheelset perhaps.

Max PSI on those stans rims above is 45 though…

dragon
    Free Member

Depends really what you want them for, Mavic Askiums seem fine for what I want (commuting mostly) and were £100 less than the Kenesis, but they are heavier and so not so suited to racing on.

nedrapier

You could always go Mavic Ppen Pro built on hubs to budget? (the Open Pro CD is anodised- no silver braking surface) Or H+Son Archetype.

SLX/XT/Novatech/A2Z. Brass nips, spokes you fancy…

tang
    Free Member

I built novatec on hplus son, all at trade, but I’m sure by shopping about you could do it under 250 if you can lace them your self. Rose bike for dt spokes, bike24.de for novatec and shop about for the rims.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I didn’t realise some rims had such low psi ratings. I was going to get some kinesis for cx and road use. Will they take 100 psi for the road?

antigee

^^^ a good question – my understanding is that the pressure issues are with 29er rims designed for wide tyres – which the Kinesis CX wheels aren’t but a quick look on website doesn’t give a max pressure – in pics section there is a sticker on wheel that looks like a lawyer put there but resolution when copied and zoomed in can’t read

Dom used to pop up and answer this sort of stuff – wakey wakey kinesis UK

looking at buying a set for a new 11 speed build but would use for road duties and use old wheels for gravel/single track duties

cloudnine
    Free Member

I didn’t realise some rims had such low psi ratings. I was going to get some kinesis for cx and road use. Will they take 100 psi for the road?

According to Kinesis.. the CEN tests which these wheels have passed should mean there are no particular restrictions.

Havent heard of any problems either..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Which CX disc wheels?’ is closed to new replies.