Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • CX disc brakes compatibility with road levers?
  • corroded
    Free Member

I’m considering a disc-equipped road bike and wondered whether anybody could advise about the ease or otherwise of setting up 105 (5700) Sti levers with a cable disc brake such as the Hayes CX Expert (if I could find any) or TRP Spyres?

Anything to watch out for? And any recommendations for brake units?

TiRed

BB5 and BB7 Road brakes are designed for road lever cable pull. Normal BB5 and 7 brakes are for V brake cable pull. Get the road ones.

midlifecrashes

Or the Shimano CX77 designed to work with 105 levers.

iainc

Hayes CX Expert and Tiagra STI’s on my new Croix De Fer – work a treat

bails

105 and BB5s here. Nothing unusual or difficult about it.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My Whyte CX bike came with BB7’s fitted, I’ve now changed them to TRP HyRd’s, I prefer the HyRd’s over the BB7’s.
    The 2014 Whytes come with the HyRd’s as standard.

Edit: Sram Apex brake levers BTW.

solarider
    Free Member

Campagnolo with Avid BB7s here. No problem at all (as others have said they are made for road lever pull).

Only watch out on set up is to make very sure that your cable housing ends are squared off. A ting amount of movement at either end of the housing will have a noticeable effect on how positive the breaks feel. Has the same effect as bleeding a hydraulic brake.

I always use good cutters, but I also filed the edges square too to make absolutely sure.

GrahamS

SRAM Force and BB7 Road here, works fine.

corroded
    Free Member

All sounds good then. Not sure if single or twin pistons are the way to go, or if compressionless brake housing makes a worthwhile difference (for the price) but looking forward to trying it all out.

aP
    Free Member

solarider – what hubs are you using with Campag? Am interested in looking at this at some time (unless I wait for hydraulic EPS!)

clubber
    Free Member

I’m using campag 10 speed shifters but with shimano 9 speed mech/cassette and the hubbub method – as such, hubs aren’t an issue.

One alternative is to use a regular mtb rear hub with an Ambrosio or similar cassette which fits on a Shimano hub but has campag spacing.

tang
    Free Member

Ultegra hyrd no probs.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Campag/BB7 set up here. Works fine.
    Shimano hubs with Ambrosio 10 speed cassette. Shimano splines/Campag spacing

fibre
    Free Member

Had Shimano CX75 and now TRP Spyre. Both work really well, tons of power in all conditions and plenty of modulation… Total opposite of all my mates CX bikes running cantis :P. Trying out a bmx linear cable at the mo to get rid of some outer cable compression, seems to work well.

Spyres> CX77> Hayes CX> BB7. My order of preference after trying all those.

alexdodd
    Free Member

HyRd’s are the future! *waiting for my Whyte Suffolk to arrive*….

solarider
    Free Member

aP

I am using Chris King R45 disc hubs, which are available with a Campagnolo freehub body. The disc version is 135mm space on the rear.

Other than these, you could use DT240s, which aren’t available with a Campagnolo freehub body as standard, but can be swapped over with a couple of 5mm allen keys and 1 minute of time. The freehubs are common between their road and off-road hubs.

I run SR EPS with BB7 SLs. Having just waited 5 months from the official announcement of the new battery to actually getting one in my grubby mitts, since there hasn’t been anything official about EPS Hydro just yet, I wouldn’t bother waiting!

I suspect the world and standards will have moved on before Campagnolo come to the party, given that both of their main competitors are already there and eating all of the cake!

sparkingchains
    Free Member

I bought some of the Shimano BR-R517 ones that work with road levers as there was (yet again!!) a national shortage of avid BB7s. They work fine but I think bb7s would adjust easier with the turnable dial design rather than faffing with an allen key.

But beware that there was a product recall of the earlier BR-R515 which looks identical apart from the newer ones having a circle on them:

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/nl/index/news_and_info/news/voluntary_recall_by.html

Just make sure you get the road version of any calliper, as most do a mtb and road model.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘CX disc brakes compatibility with road levers?’ is closed to new replies.