• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • CX – components ??
  • Big-Pete
    Free Member

The order is going in for a Lynskey cx, so I will start pestering for various parts advice, as I have never had a road/cross bike.

Going disc, so can you point me to good quality rims (disc specific would be nice) strenth is more important than weight as I aint no whippet and I fully intend to give em some gnarr 🙂
    Will be using Hope disc hubs.

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

Open pro CD’s are a good choice.

I run factory RS10 shimano jobs though for rough duties, and have never damaged them – even when racing, so would not be too worried about spending a packet.

Another good rim is Ambrosio – I use the evolutions on my cross bike for ‘good wheels’ for mainly road use – paired to a dura-ace rear and hope front, Like open pros but cheaper – and in my opinion it is best to spend more on hubs and less on rims, pretty easy to ding a rim on the cross bike due to less tyre protection – a cheaper rim is always less painless to replace. As long as you go for a decent wheelbuilder it will be fine.

mattsccm
    Free Member

On a nice frame like that it should be all Euro stuff. So Campag Record to start with.

cynic-al
    Free Member

open pro – cd is purely cosmetic.

disc specific rims are for noobs at this point in time.

Russell96

I just use some cheap wide rims, I accept that they are going to get hammered but with the wider rim a 35c tyre is more stable and the rim doesn’t act like a cookie cutter every time I hit a bump.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

So what classifies as a wide rim Russ?

john_l
    Free Member

Have a look at Velocity’s A23 rims.

crazy-legs

On a nice frame like that it should be all Euro stuff. So Campag Record to start with.

Do you want it to work or do you want it to look nice. If the latter then Record. If the former then Shimano.

😉

I use Open Pro ceramics on my CX. Plenty tough enough, in fact they’re kind of reckoned to be THE benchmark rim for both road and CX. My rims have survived 3 years of regular riding including 3 times round the Three Peaks race so that should speak for itself about how strong they are.

nerd
    Free Member

I have Exal LX17s on my ‘crosser. 17mm internal width, double walled and eyeletted, 575g per rim and made in Belgium. Spa cycles sell them, only £18 + carriage per rim. Good strong rims, 2mm wider than an Open Pro but the weight penalty isn’t massive.

Mavic do the A317 which is disc specific and a bit lighter.

samuri
    Free Member

Also, I’ve never broken a Salsa Delgado cross rim.

Rik
    Free Member

Do you want it to work or do you want it to look nice. If the latter then Record. If the former then Shimano.

Do you want it to wear out or wear in and last ten times as long. If it’s the latter then Record.

That’s the biggest load of sh#t I’ve ever heard about Campag. Clearly doesn’t know his road stuff.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Just forget all the campag record stuff, I want/need to be able to fall off.

clubber
    Free Member

Good to see the Shimano/Campag BS out so early. wear out/wear in being a particular BS fave of mine 🙂

Shimano/Campag/SRAM – use what you like. All work, all are reliable, all are durable.

(Long term mainly Campag user who notices no real world difference in performance, longevity, etc between Campag, Shimano or SRAM).

clubber
    Free Member

I’d recommend Halo AeroRage rims – good alternative to Open pros and deep section (tends to hold less mud).

Russell96

Pete, just looked 19mm internal 25mm external on the CX bike.

I’m also using some Mavic A719’s on XT hubs on the Roadrat and they are pretty solid too again they are a 19mm internal width rim.

Rik
    Free Member

At least Shimano have finally hidden the STI cables so they don’t look as gash.

Although campag ergo levers are getting uglier by the year.

Give me a 9 speed Record titanium groupset any day.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

So if a mavic a719 is good, how about a mavic 719 29″ disc rim? or am I thinking boollocks

Rik
    Free Member

I run 28 hole scandium 29er Bontanger RXL rims on DT 240 hubs – wide strong light rim so great tyre profile with 35c but can still use 28c road tyres if I want a bit more pep.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘CX – components ??’ is closed to new replies.